When Should You See The Doctor For Hemorrhoids
Before assuming that your condition is hemorrhoids, it’s a good idea to see your doctor for an examination. After all, it’s difficult to take a look for yourself. And please, no “selfies”!
If there is any bleeding, severe pain or fecal incontinence , you should definitely see your doctor. A large amount of bleeding or the sudden onset of severe pain means you should seek medical treatment immediately.
How To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids: Diagnosis And Treatments
Most individuals who have hemorrhoids discover them by either
- feeling the lump of an external hemorrhoid when they wipe themselves after a bowel movement,
- noting drops of blood in the toilet bowl or on the toilet paper, or
- feeling a prolapsing hemorrhoid after bowel movements.
With a history of symptoms, a physician can begin diagnosis on the basis of a careful examination of the anus and anal area. Although the physician should try his or her best to identify the hemorrhoids, it is perhaps more important to exclude other causes of hemorrhoid-like symptoms that require different treatment such as
- anal fissures,
This is true whether or not hemorrhoids are found during anoscopy.
How To Reduce Swelling Hemorrhoids At Home
The swelling in or around the anus of a male is called as the hemorrhoid swelling and this can really be the trouble for an individual in a way that it causes the blood vessels to swell up and we are even likely to see bleeding along with it. With increasing stress and depression because of the associated symptoms, the need of hour is to look for the approaches that help us get rid of this health problem and thus here we have come with some tips that will help you get rid of this problem of yours in a smart manner.
Don’t Miss: What Is Good For Hemorrhoids While Pregnant
What Are Two Types Of Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are enlarged, swollen veins in the lowest part of the rectum and anus. These veins bulge and get irritated, especially when the patient defecates, and cause bleeding. Hemorrhoids are also commonly called piles. It is one of the most common causes of rectal bleeding. Hemorrhoids occur in adults. It can cause significant pain and discomfort if left untreated.
There are two types of hemorrhoids:
- Internal hemorrhoids: They are present deep inside the rectum. They are usually not seen externally or felt and are painless.
- External hemorrhoids: They are present under the skin surrounding the anus. They are painful because of the painful, sensitive nerves surrounding the anus.
Hemorrhoids may go away on their own or with home remedies in a couple of weeks. If the hemorrhoids dont improve or the symptoms worsen, it is advised to consult a doctor to seek medical treatment.
Ease Pain And Itching
Take warm baths. Soak in a bathtub filled with a few inches of warm water for about 15 minutes at a time. Do it two or three times a day and after every bowel movement. If you want to wash the area, too, use unscented soap and don’t scrub.
Pat gently afterward to dry. You can even use a blow dryer on a cool setting if that feels better.
There are also special “sitz baths” you can put directly on your toilet seat to make soaking easier.
Ice it. Put a small cold pack on the trouble spot several times a day. It can dull pain and bring down the swelling for a little while.
Consider painkillers. An over-the-counter medicine, like acetaminophen, aspirin, or ibuprofen, could help with soreness.
Don’t scratch. You could damage the skin and make the irritation — and the itching — worse.
Choose cotton. Wear loose, soft underwear. It keeps the area aired out and stops moisture from building up, which can bother your hemorrhoids.
Read Also: Can Hemorrhoids Make Your Stomach Hurt
When Should I Worry About Hemorrhoids
Lets say youve waited it out and tried home remedies to no avail. If your hemorrhoids are still bothering you after several days, it may be time to seek out a medical professional.
Your doctor will check to make sure youre actually experiencing hemorrhoids and not something else like a digestive disorder, inflammation of the colon, intestinal bleeding or colon cancer.
If its really just pesky piles that refuse to go away, you can ask about minimally invasive options to help them resolve more quickly. The most common of these procedures is a rubber band ligation, where a rubber band is placed around an internal hemorrhoid to cut off its circulation, but other choices range from an injection to use of an infrared light.
With the right amount of care, hopefully youll be back to your regularly scheduled programming in no time.
Hemorrhoids By The Numbers
- Around 20 million people in the United States suffer from hemorrhoids .
- In 2004, the National Institutes of Health noted that the diagnosis of hemorrhoids was associated with 3.2 million ambulatory care visits, 306,000 hospitalizations and 2 million prescriptions in the United States.
- The peak incidence of hemorrhoids is between the ages of 4565. Development of hemorrhoids before the age of 20 is unusual.
- The risk of developing hemorrhoids is higher in white adults than in black adults, higher in women than in men and higher for women who are pregnant.
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Painful Hemorrhoids At Home
What Natural Home Remedies Soothe Or Cure Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoid symptoms of pain and itching can be treated at home by doing the following.
Warm Sitz Baths
- Sitting in a few inches of warm water three times a day for 15 to 20 minutes may help decrease the inflammation of the hemorrhoids.
- It is important to dry off the anal area completely after each Sitz bath to minimize irritation of the skin surrounding the anus.
- Increased fluid intake and dietary fiber will decrease the potential for constipation and lessen the pressure on the rectum and anus during a bowel movement, minimizing further swelling, discomfort, and bleeding. Dietary fiber supplements also may help bulk up the stools
- Stool softeners may help. A health-care professional or a pharmacist are good resources to discuss their use.
- Individuals with hemorrhoids should not sit for long periods of time and may benefit from sitting on an air or rubber donut available at most local pharmacies.
- Exercise is helpful in relieving constipation and in decreasing pressure on the hemorrhoidal veins. Individuals should be encouraged to have a bowel movement as soon as possible after the urge arises and not sit on the toilet for long periods of time. Once that urge passes, stools can become constipated and straining with a bowel movement may occur.
Haemorrhoids: 6 Amazing Natural Home Remedies To Heal Piles
Haemorrhoids also known as piles, are swollen vein that develops in anus and lower rectum, quite similar to varicose veins. They are categorised as cushions of tissue comprising of blood vessels, muscle and so on. Haemorrhoids can develop inside the rectum or under the skin around the anus. When the veins lining the anal canal and lower rectum swell up, you may find it difficult to defecate stool which results in pain and bleeding.Suffering From Painful Haemorrhoids? Choose From Our Wide-Range Natural Ingredients To Get Relief!
Haemorrhoids have several causes, but most often the cause is unclear, it could be genetics to severe constipation that can result in highly uncomfortable health condition. The risk increases in older people and pregnant women. Obesity, poor eating pattern and unhealthy lifestyle are also some of the causative factors that could lead to piles.Also Read: Hemorrhoids: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment
Nearly three out of four adults develop piles from time to time, though not a serious problem and in most cases disappear on their own within a few weeks. It is quite common among people whose jobs involves sitting for long hours, lack of physical activity and ones who are immobile. Some of the symptoms include pain, bleeding in the anus and mostly a lump or a swelling in the area means there are piles. Itching and anal discharge are also common. However, piles in their starting stage can be effectively treated at home.
Read Also: Where To Buy Emuaid For Hemorrhoids
Getting Rid Of Hemorrhoids
How To Get Rid Of External Hemorrhoids Without Surgery
After identifying the hemorrhoids, you can rid them through at-home remedies, which eliminate them naturally.
You can either have a warm bath or relax in a bathtub with a few spoons of Epsom salt. Besides, you can apply a warm compress for around 10 to 15minutes. To shrink the size, you can use a cotton pad soaked in an astringent.
Recommended Reading: What To Do For Hemorrhoids
Get Rid Of External Hemorrhoids In 48 Hours
Beyond lifestyle and diet, you can eradicate many hemorrhoids with natural medicines. Easy-to-find natural remedies include witch hazel extract, aloe vera, zinc oxide, and much more.
Cant get to the store? Try a good old-fashioned ice pack. An ice pack or a cold compress can relieve immediate discomfort. These are first-line defenses and are safe to use. Remember to read all labels and follow instructions.
Beyond natural remedies, you can try many safe over-the-counter and prescription products. Ointments, creams, suppositories, local anesthetics, and steroid treatments are all readily available. Reducing swelling can be a relatively painless process. Visit your pharmacy or drug store and speak with a pharmacist. Be sure to follow the advice and to read the instructions and warning labels on all medications.
Hemorrhoid Banding As A Definitive Solution For Hemorrhoids
While natural home remedies for hemorrhoids can provide temporary relief from symptoms, they are not a permanent fix. For long-term hemorrhoid relief, consider a treatment like hemorrhoid banding. Also known as rubber band ligation, hemorrhoid banding is a long-lasting technique for alleviating discomfort caused by hemorrhoids.
Specifically, the CRH ORegan System is the leading hemorrhoid banding treatment available. During the CRH ORegan System procedure, a small band is wrapped around the base of the hemorrhoid to restrict the blood flow to the hemorrhoidal mass. After a few days without a blood supply, the hemorrhoid shrinks and eventually falls off, along with the band. Typically, the hemorrhoid and band fall off during a regular bowel movement without the patient even noticing.
Talk to a doctor for more information on the right treatment and relief options for you. To get rid of your hemorrhoids once and for all, find a physician that offers the pain-free CRH ORegan banding procedure and get on the path toward the hemorrhoid-free life you deserve.
Heal Your Hemorrhoids
Recommended Reading: How To Rid Of External Hemorrhoids
When To Seek Medical Care For Hemorrhoids
When to call the doctor
- Bleeding from the rectum or anus is never normal and although hemorrhoids are the most common reason to have blood in the stool, it should be discussed with your primary health-care professional. Other causes ofrectal bleeding exist and can be serious. Inflammatory bowel disease and cancers of the colon can present with rectal bleeding. Blood in the stool should never be ignored.
- Medical care should be sought urgently if a person is taking anticoagulation medications such as warfarin , dabigatran , rivaroxiban , apixaban , clopidogrel , prasugrel or enoxaparin .
- Individuals who have associated symptoms such as lightheadedness and weakness may have significant blood loss and may require more urgent care.
- Hemorrhoids do not cause abdominal pain should this pain be present with bleeding, medical care should be sought immediately.
- Prolapsed hemorrhoids that cannot be pushed back through the anus require medical care.
- Thrombosed external hemorrhoids may cause significant pain and medical care may be necessary to remove the clot.
For Seriously Bad Hemorrhoids Talk To Your Doctor About Surgical Options
If youve tried home remedies and in-office procedures but your hemorrhoids are still making you miserable, it might be time to ask your doctor about surgery. Recovery from the surgical removal of hemorrhoids can be extremely painful, notes Dr. Bernstein, but its one of the most effective ways to get rid of hemorrhoids for good.
Another surgical option is having your hemorrhoids stapled into place. This is a less painful procedure compared to a hemorrhoidectomy, but it does come with a greater risk of relapse and is not recommended if you have anal sex, as staples can cause injury, notes Dr. Ky.
When to see a doctor for hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids can be a massive pain, but thankfully, symptoms typically go away within a week. If you still have symptoms of hemorrhoids after a week of self-care measures or youre experiencing severe pain or bleeding, seek medical attention immediately, says Dr. Thomas.
Its important to note that sometimes what might seem like symptoms of hemorrhoids could indicate something more serious. Less commonly, rectal bleeding can also be a sign of diseases such as colorectal cancer or anal cancer. Make sure to get checked out if you notice large amounts of bleeding or other changes in your bowel habits like a different stool color or consistency.
Support from readers like you helps us do our best work. Go here to subscribe to Prevention and get 12 FREE gifts. And sign up for our FREE newsletter here for daily health, nutrition, and fitness advice.
You May Like: Why Do I Always Have Hemorrhoids
Consider Having A Clot Removed
External hemorrhoids can result in extremely painful blood clots, and while theyre not dangerous, they can take a couple of weeks to resolve on their own. If yours scores high on your personal pain scale, a doctor can remove a thrombosed hemorrhoid with a relatively simple in-office procedure under local anesthetic in about 10 minutes. Keep in mind: The first 24 to 48 hours are typically the most painfuland the best time to have a clot removed, says Dr. Ky.
How To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids Without Surgery With Smoothies
Homemade smoothies are excellent solutions against piles as they act like natural stool softeners, making bowel movements less painful and damaging for the sensitive skin and blood vessels inside the anal canal.
Unlike medicines, natural stool softeners are free of side effects so if you opt for smoothies made of bananas, raspberries and blueberries, milk and lemon, youll not only reduce pain and bleeding but youll also strengthen your immune system, decreasing the risk of skin inflammation and infections.
Minerals and vitamins in these natural smoothies promote a healthier digestion and act like natural healing agents, helping the damaged blood vessels and hemorrhoidal tissue to recover faster. You can serve the smoothie in the morning or during the day, as besides being efficient in accelerating piles reduction, it will also increase your energy level and restore your zest for life.
You May Like: When Should You Go To The Hospital For Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoid Home Remedies: Warm Sitz Bath
A sitz bath refers to sitting in a few inches of warm water three times a day for 15 to 20 minutes. A sitz bath may help decrease the inflammation of hemorrhoids. Drying off the anal area completely after each sitz bath is important for minimizing moisture that irritates the skin surrounding your rectal area.
Peppermint Oil To Soothe Hemorrhoid Pain
Peppermint oil has a high menthol content that produces a cooling and refreshing sensation when applied to the hemorrhoids.
You can use a blend of peppermint oil and coconut oil to help get rid of hemorrhoid pain fast.
Don’t Miss: Do Hemorrhoids Go Away On Their Own
You Can Treat Hemorrhoids While Being On Toilet Seat
A revolutionary and patented technology for treating hemorrhoid is here for you. Anti-hemorrhoid toilet seat adapter, HemAway, is one of the most effective healing devices when it comes to hemorrhoids. HemAwaysignificantly reduces symptoms, eases the problems and completely eliminates and cures painful hemorrhoids! Actually, HemAway cures your hemorrhoids during the act of defecation. TheHemAway toilet seat adapter works due to its innovative and universal design and shape. You can mount it on every single existing toilet seat easily. We specifically recommend a continuous use of HemAway, in order to prevent the reappearance of the hemorrhoids.