Final Thoughts On How To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids
- Hemorrhoids are a very common anorectal condition that affects millions of people around the world.
- Enlarged hemorrhoids are often associated with symptoms such as itching, mucus discharge or bleeding. Bleeding happens when hard stool damages the thin walls of the blood vessels in hemorrhoids.
- Avoidance of constipation is key when trying to get rid of hemorrhoids. Its important that you dont strain while using the bathroom, dont sit for an excessive period of time and clean yourself thoroughly when finished.
- Foods and herbal supplements that help relieve constipation can alleviate the symptoms of hemorrhoids. A high-fiber diet and drinking plenty of fluids are the most helpful dietary changes that you can make when it comes to how to get rid of hemorrhoids.
- If non-medical treatments dont work, there are relatively painless procedures that can be done to treat hemorrhoids. For extreme cases, an outpatient surgery called a hemorrhoidectomy may be required.
What Are The Treatments For Hemorrhoids
If at-home treatments for hemorrhoids don’t help you, you may need a medical procedure. There are several different procedures that your provider can do in the office. These procedures use different techniques to cause scar tissue to form in the hemorrhoids. This cuts off the blood supply, which usually shrinks the hemorrhoids. In severe cases, you may need surgery.
How To Heal Hemorrhoids When Pregnant
if you are pregnant with hemorrhoids, you are going to want to do things differently. Speak with your doctor to see what products you can use that safe for you and your baby.
A hemorrhoid ice pack is a great idea for a pregnant woman. You can use that along with Tucks Medicated Pads , as Tucks are highly regarded among pregnant women with hemorrhoids.
In addition, a sitz bath or lukewarm bath should be safe to use.
Here are the top ways to heal hemorrhoids when pregnant:
- Hemorrhoid Ice Pack
- Hemorrhoid Wipes/Cream/Suppository with a doctor’s approval
- Sitz Bath or Lukewarm Bath
Read Also: What Can I Do For Bleeding Hemorrhoids
How To Get Rid Of External Hemorrhoids At Home With Oak
Oak, scientifically called Quercus species, is another alternative to medicines and drugs. This natural remedy exerts its anti-hemorrhoidal action by supporting the health of veins and capillaries and by improving digestion. Rich in vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, manganese, calcium and magnesium, the plant strengthens the walls in blood vessels, reducing the risk for hemorrhoidal veins to protrude or form bumps.
Also, oak has powerful anti-septic, anti-inflammatory and astringent properties, which means its efficient in preventing diarrhea, in reducing inflammation and irritation of the damaged skin surrounding the hemorrhoidal blood vessels, as well as in preventing bleeding.
Drinking teas made of oaks several times a day or applying compresses soaked in these liquids can provide relief from hemorrhoids symptoms extremely fast, so make sure to try this home remedy if youre interested in how to cure external hemorrhoids without surgery.
Keeping Yourself Comfortable During The Day
Though hemorrhoid symptoms vary depending on the location and type, if you have external hemorrhoids, a thrombosed hemorrhoid , or a prolapsed internal hemorrhoid , simple things like sitting at your desk at work can cause extreme discomfort. For immediate pain relief, we recommend oral pain relievers or topical treatments such as an over-the-counter hemorrhoid cream or witch hazel. We may also prescribe a numbing cream to ease your pain.
To reduce irritation, you should wear clean, cotton underwear and loose-fitted clothing to help keep the area dry. Moisture may lead to itching and irritation. If you find it too difficult to sit in your office chair, you may want to invest in a donut cushion to ease the pressure on your backside.
At home, soak in a warm sitz bath for 1015 minutes a few times a day to relieve itching, muscle spasms, and pain. You can find a sitz bath tub at your local pharmacy that fits over your toilet to make the process easier.
Read Also: Will Preparation H Heal Hemorrhoids
How A Doctor Can Help
Doctors can recommend medical treatments and procedures that can reduce or get rid of hemorrhoids. Some of these procedures can be done right in a doctors office and involve very little discomfort.
- Medicated creams/ointments. If an OTC hemorrhoid cream isnt enough, doctors can prescribe stronger creams and ointments.
- Minimally-invasive procedures. There are some minimally-invasive procedures that a doctor can do in their office or in an ambulatory surgery center that typically doesnt require anesthesia or long recovery times. Some of these procedures include rubber band ligation, sclerotherapy injections, and laser/infrared coagulation treatments.
- Thrombectomy. For severe cases that develop blood clots and cause a lot of pain, your doctor can perform an external hemorrhoid thrombectomy to remove the hemorrhoid. Thrombectomies are most effective when performed no more than 72 hours after severe symptoms emerge.
- Surgery. There are several surgical options available when other treatments and procedures havent worked or if you have very large hemorrhoids. If youve struggled to find relief, talk to your doctor to learn if surgery is right for you.
How To Treat External Hemorrhoids With Garlic
If you still havent found a suitable solution to how to cure external hemorrhoids, you can try garlic. This natural product is used for reducing inflammation and itching, as well as for improving digestion and decreasing the risk of getting hemorrhoids as a result of constipation.
Garlic can be used as it is, in salads or eaten raw. In case of internal hemorrhoids, it can even be inserted into the rectum like a suppository, but if you suffer from external piles its better not to try this, as you may damage the tissue even more when inserting the pieces.
Another method for using garlic as hemorrhoids remedy is to boil it and then use the water for cleansing the area. Also, you can add compresses soaked in this water on the damaged skin and wait until pain recedes.
Don’t Miss: Does Preparation H Help Hemorrhoids
Treating External Hemorrhoids At Home
There are many methods of alleviating external hemorrhoids symptoms at home, such as:
However, should symptoms persist, or if you are unsure if your symptoms result from external hemorrhoids, it is best to contact a physician for diagnosis and treatment. Although these remedies can provide relief, most at-home treatments merely mask the symptoms caused by hemorrhoids instead of getting rid of the underlying issue. For this reason, you will most likely need to see a professional for long-lasting pain relief.
Interestingly, although you may think your symptoms come from your external hemorrhoids, many times it is the internal hemorrhoid disease causing the problems.
What Can You Do For Relief
If you have hemorrhoids, lifestyle changes may help them heal faster. One cause of hemorrhoids is straining during bowel movements. Adding more high-fiber foods to your diet, such as vegetables, fruits, and whole grains, can help soften your stool and make it easier to pass.
You should also drink plenty of water to help relieve constipation and reduce straining during bowel movements.
Here are some additional things that may help relieve symptoms:
- Minimize the time you sit on the toilet.
- When you feel the urge to move your bowels, go as soon as possible.
- Put your feet on a small stool during bowel movements to change the position of your rectum.
- If youre pregnant, sleep on your side. This will help relieve some of the pressure around your anus.
- Ask your doctor about taking a stool softener or a fiber supplement, such as psyllium or methylcellulose . A tablespoon of mineral oil added to food can also help soften stools.
- Keep the anal area clean. Take regular showers, and use moist wipes to clean the area around your anus after you pass a bowel movement.
- Use a sitz bath or sit in a warm tub for a few minutes to bathe the anal area.
You may also try using over-the-counter topical medications to ease discomfort, such as phenylephrine hemorrhoidal gel . These products are used if the hemorrhoids are bulging and inflamed.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids Over The Counter
Simple Tips To Get Rid Of Internal Hemorrhoids Fast And At Home
Easy Ways To Add Fiber
The tips below offer some simple ways to add more high-fiber foods to your meals.
Start your day with a high-fiber breakfast. Eat a wheat bran cereal along with a sliced banana. Or, try peanut butter on whole-wheat toast.
Eat carrot sticks for snacks. Theyre easy to prepare, taste great, and are low in calories.
Use whole-grain breads instead of white bread for sandwiches.
Eat fruits for treats. Try an apple and some raisins instead of a candy bar.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Thing To Do For Hemorrhoids
How To Cure External Hemorrhoids With Horsetail Tea
Horsetail tea is obtained from a plant thats thought to be related to the trees covering the earth during the Paleozoic era. This herbal remedy has been used for centuries as natural treatment for wounds, bladder and kidneys problems and its still recommended for curing these conditions as well as for relieving constipation.
Thus, if youre among those piles sufferers searching for a solution on how to cure hemorrhoids at home, drinking three cups of horsetail tea per day might be what you need.
How Are Thrombosed External Hemorrhoids Treated
If the blood clot has formed within the past 48-72 hours, the doctor may remove it from within the hemorrhoid. This is a simple procedure that may relieve pain. Patients may be under local anesthesia during the procedure. The doctor makes a small incision in the skin and removes the blood clot. Stitches are generally not needed. If more than 72 hours have passed, the doctor may suggest home treatments.
- In the first 24 hours, applying an ice pack to the area can help limit the size of the clotted blood and associated discomfort.
- After 24 hours, gentle warmth may be applied to the area in an attempt to melt the blood clot. This will aid the body in its efforts to disintegrate the clot and resolve the lump.
- Use a stool softener or gentle laxatives such as fiber or Miralax to avoid constipation. Warm baths, ointments, suppositories, and witch hazel compresses may be helpful.
- Over-the-counter topical medications can bring temporary relief from symptoms. These products include creams and ointments.
- The doctor may also prescribe additional steroid foams and suppositories.
- Persistent bleeding or painful hemorrhoids may require banding, ligation, or removal . Surgery to remove hemorrhoids may be done if other treatments don’t work.
- Adding fiber to your meals and drinking more water may help in faster healing.
Don’t Miss: How To Rid Hemorrhoids Naturally
Soak It Off In A Sitz Bath
A sitz bath comes from the German word sitzen, meaning sit, and it refers to a 10 to 15 minute soak in warm water that comes just up to your bottom and hips. Sitz baths can relieve irritation and itching as well as spasm of your anal sphincter muscles, says Dr. Thomas. Take a shallow soak in your bathtub or buy a small plastic tub from your pharmacy to give yourself a portable sitz bath two to three times a day.
Internal Vs External Hemorrhoids
When it comes to speaking about internal hemorrhoids, these are far inside the rectum. They dont hurt because of the sensitivity of the nerves. If you notice bleeding, it might be a sign that you have one.
External hemorrhoids, on the other hand, are present near the anus. Since the sensitive nerves are exposed, these may tend to hurt and bleed at the same time. In some instances, the person may suffer from prolapsed hemorrhoids that are pushed back internally.
A blood clot can occur in case of external hemorrhoids, but when the clot dissolves, the skin may start burning, and the person has to bear with the irritating sensation.
Hope you have learned everything about hemorrhoids. Feel free to share the health blog with someone seeking a way to remove external hemorrhoids.
Was this article helpful?
Recommended Reading: What Can I Do To Help My Hemorrhoids
What Should I Eat If I Have Hemorrhoids Diet
Individuals with hemorrhoids should soften their stools by increasing the fiber in their diets.
Fiber is found in numerous foods, including
- fresh and dried fruits,
- whole grains, and
In general, 20 to 30 grams of fiber per day is recommended, whereas the average American diet contains less than 15 grams of fiber. Fiber supplements, like psyllium, methylcellulose, and calcium polycarbophil, also may be used to increase the intake of fiber.
Stool softeners and increased drinking of liquids also may be recommended, as well as bulk-forming laxatives. Nevertheless, the benefits of fiber, liquids, and stool softeners have not been well-tested with respect to hemorrhoidal control in scientific studies.
What Causes Internal And External Hemorrhoids And Simple Ways To Treat Them
Hemorrhoids are usually caused by increased pressure due to pregnancy, being overweight, or straining during bowel movements. By midlife, hemorrhoids often become an ongoing complaint. By age 50, about half the population has experienced one or more of the classic symptoms, which include rectal pain, itching, bleeding, and possibly prolapse . Although hemorrhoids are rarely dangerous, they can be a recurrent and painful intrusion. Fortunately, there’s a lot we can do about hemorrhoids.
Also Check: How Do You Fix Hemorrhoids
Medications That Help Minimize Hemorrhoid Inflammation
There are many drugs that you can take to relieve inflammation and pain caused by hemorrhoids. It is essential, however, to visit always see your doctor before taking any type of medication. Common medications to treat hemorrhoid inflammation are:
- Corticosteroids: either in the form of suppositories or cream. These drugs are known to immediately relieve pain, stinging and inflammation.
- Lidocaine: normally used topically in the form of cream and aids in relieving pain.
- Medications that soften the stool help avoid excessive pressure when defecating.
- In addition to these drugs, there is a set of medical techniques and surgical procedures that help prevent hemorrhoids. Among these are ligature and extirpation, also known as: hemorrhoidectomy or infrared coagulation.
Hemorrhoids: Diagnosis And Treatment Options
TIMOTHY MOTT, MD, Naval Hospital Pensacola, Pensacola, Florida
KELLY LATIMER, MD, MPH, U.S. Naval Hospital Sigonella, Catania, Italy
CHAD EDWARDS, MD, Hamilton Medical Center, Dalton, Georgia
Am Fam Physician. 2018 Feb 1 97:172-179.
Patient information: A handout on hemorrhoids is available.
Hemorrhoids develop when the venous drainage of the anus is altered, causing the venous plexus and connecting tissue to dilate, creating an outgrowth of anal mucosa from the rectal wall. However, the exact pathophysiology is unknown. Hemorrhoids occur above or below the dentate line where the proximal columnar transitions to the distal squamous epithelium . The anus is approximately 4 cm long in adults, with the dentate line located roughly at the midpoint.2 Hemorrhoids developing above the dentate line are internal. They are painless because they are viscerally innervated. External hemorrhoids develop below the dentate line and can become painful when swollen. The extent of prolapse of internal hemorrhoids can be graded on a scale from I to IV, which guides effective treatment . This grading system is incomplete, however, because it focuses exclusively on the extent of prolapse and does not consider other clinical factors, such as size and number of hemorrhoids, amount of pain and bleeding, and patient comorbidities and preferences.3
SORT: KEY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PRACTICE
Increasing fiber intake is an effective first-line, non-surgical treatment for hemorrhoids.
Don’t Miss: Why Am I Getting Hemorrhoids
How To Get Rid Of Thrombosed Hemorrhoids:
We can divide care procedure for thrombosed hemorrhoid in three broad heading.1. Home remedies which is totally natural, easy, safe and inexpensive.2. Fixation of thrombosed hemorrhoid which is a nonsurgical procedure and3. Finally surgical treatment which is the last option.
1. Home remedies for thrombosed hemorrhoid:
You will get all kinds of benefit if you take home remedies for thrombosed hemorrhoid. Doctors will suggest you home remedies at the beginning of treatment. I am going to give some extensively useful home remedies which are told by many hemorrhoids specialist.
1. Hydrate yourself:
Hydrate means to make yourself free from of any toxic which resides in your body. Try to take minimum 10 glasses of water every day. This will ease you at the time of your bowel movement. Your stool will become soften if you intake such quantity of water.
2. KEEP YOURSELF CLEAN:
The main step against hemorrhoids would be to keep yourself clean at all cost. Always clean the anus area to avoid further hassle. Thrombosed hemorrhoids are quite painful thats why clean with soft hand . Use wet tissue paper to clean the area and try to clean the area with soft cloth, mild soap and warm water.
3. APPLICATION OF CREAM OR OINTMENT:
You will find huge options in terms of ointment to use in the anus area. Use the ointment which is recommended by your doctor. Application of ointment will soothe your inflamed skin. This will give you relief from the irritation or itchiness.
5. ALOE VERA: