When Hemorrhoid Surgery May Be Necessary
Very few people fewer than 10 percent of all adults who see a doctor because of symptomatic hemorrhoids will require a surgical operation.
Surgery to remove hemorrhoids is called a hemorrhoidectomy.
Your doctor may recommend a hemorrhoidectomy if:
- You have large external hemorrhoids
- You have both internal and external hemorrhoids
- An internal hemorrhoid has prolapsed
In a hemorrhoidectomy, the doctor makes a small incision to remove the hemorrhoid and surrounding tissue before closing the wound with stitches.
A hemorrhoidectomy is performed in an operating room and can be done under general anesthesia, in which you are unconscious and unable to feel pain.
It can also be done with a spinal anesthetic block while you are awake , or with a combination of relaxing and sedating drugs given intravenously and a local anesthetic injected around the anus.
Hemorrhoidectomy is associated with postoperative pain, but the procedure is successful for 95 percent of cases.
More recently, another option aimed at avoiding the postoperative pain of a hemorrhoidectomy has become available, called a stapled hemorrhoidopexy. A circular stapling device pulls the hemorrhoidal tissue upward and to its normal position, stapling it in place. The staples eventually fall out over time.
There are many options for the treatment of hemorrhoids. Its best to discuss the benefits and risks of each of these with your doctor in order to come up with the treatment plan that is best for your particular case.
How To Stop Hemorrhoid Pain
There are many different methods that can be used to stop hemorrhoid pain. A few effective methods for pain management and immediate relief are:
When To Seek Medical Help
Don’t Miss: What Helps With Bleeding Hemorrhoids
Chronic Diarrhea Or Constipation
While most issues result from constipation or the inability to have a bowel movement, it is also any strain on the rectum and anus region. Chronic diarrhea is also a cause of hemorrhoids. Too many frequent bowel movements can leave the area raw, affect the tissue due to highly acidic bowel movements and result in hemorrhoids.
How to get rid of hemorrhoids? Luckily, there are products and methods to treat and prevent hemorrhoids.
What Natural Home Remedies Soothe Or Cure Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoid symptoms of pain and itching can be treated at home by doing the following.
Warm Sitz Baths
- Sitting in a few inches of warm water three times a day for 15 to 20 minutes may help decrease the inflammation of the hemorrhoids.
- It is important to dry off the anal area completely after each Sitz bath to minimize irritation of the skin surrounding the anus.
- Increased fluid intake and dietary fiber will decrease the potential for constipation and lessen the pressure on the rectum and anus during a bowel movement, minimizing further swelling, discomfort, and bleeding. Dietary fiber supplements also may help bulk up the stools
- Stool softeners may help. A health-care professional or a pharmacist are good resources to discuss their use.
- Individuals with hemorrhoids should not sit for long periods of time and may benefit from sitting on an air or rubber donut available at most local pharmacies.
- Exercise is helpful in relieving constipation and in decreasing pressure on the hemorrhoidal veins. Individuals should be encouraged to have a bowel movement as soon as possible after the urge arises and not sit on the toilet for long periods of time. Once that urge passes, stools can become constipated and straining with a bowel movement may occur.
You May Like: Can Ibuprofen Help With Hemorrhoids
Symptoms Of Thrombosed External Hemorrhoids
External hemorrhoids can be felt as bulges at the anus, but they usually cause few of the symptoms that are typical of internal hemorrhoids.
External hemorrhoids can cause problems, however, when blood clots inside them. This is referred to as thrombosis. Thrombosis of such a hemorrhoid causes an anal lump that is
- very painful,
- tender, and
- often requires medical attention.
The thrombosed hemorrhoid may heal with scarring, and leave a tag of skin protruding in the anus. Occasionally, the tag is large, which can make anal hygiene difficult or irritate the anus. Even after such a hemorrhoid goes away, a residual skin tag may remain, and this may need to be surgically removed.
Olive Oil To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids
Olive oil is another great ingredient. You can use this oil to cure hemorrhoids. It is effective in curing piles. The anti-inflammatory properties soothe the area and reduce the pain. It gives you relief by increases the elasticity of the blood vessels and by making it easier to pass stool. Take a spoon of olive oil with food regularly. The monosaturated fats in olive oil will improve the functionality of the bowel movement.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Anus Hemorrhoids
Address And Fix The Cause Of Your Hemorrhoids
How to Stop Hemorrhoids In their Tracks
There are several things you can do to get fight back against your hemorrhoids.
Who Removes Hemorrhoids Treatment
Treating enlarged hemorrhoids is important, because they tend to get worse over time. Hemorrhoids are treated with a variety of measures including diet, over-the-counter medicine like
- anti-inflammatory pain killers,
and various treatment options are available, like
Who Removes Hemorrhoids?
Most hemorrhoid complaints begin with a trip to a family doctor. Your doctor will then refer you to a specialist: either a gastroenterologist or a proctologist . Proctologists specialize in surgical treatments, while gastroenterologists are experts in digestive diseases.
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Hemorrhoids At Home Fast In Hindi
How To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids: Severe Cases
Milder forms of hemorrhoids can be minimized effectively with the natural treatments mentioned above. However, if you have a more severe case of hemorrhoids, then consult your physicians to take the necessary action, in order to provide adequate treatment.
Gastroenterologists who specialize in digestion and intestinal health can perform a standard examination to determine the severity and assign a necessary treatment plan. In most cases treating hemorrhoids will and can include a variety of medications such as gels, lotions, creams, or suppositories, to help with the inflammation, reduce swelling and minimize the symptoms of hemorrhoids.
In more severe cases, minimally invasive surgery such as sclerotherapy, or rubber band ligation, may be necessary to help get rid of hemorrhoids faster. In the most severe cases, surgery may need to take place in order to move the hemorrhoids entirely.
Symptoms Of Prolapsed Internal Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids prolapse when their blood vessels swell and extend from their location in the rectum through the anus. In the anal canal, the hemorrhoid is exposed to the trauma of passing stool, particularly hard stools associated with constipation. The trauma can cause bleeding and sometimes pain when stool passes.
The presence of
- inflammation, and
- constant moisture
can lead to anal itchiness , and occasionally the constant feeling of needing to have a bowel movement. The prolapsing hemorrhoid usually returns into the anal canal or rectum on its own or can be pushed back inside with a finger, but falls out again with the next bowel movement.
Also Check: What Is The Best Thing To Do For Hemorrhoids
How Severe Is Hemorrhoid Pain
Hemorrhoid pain can range from mild to severe. While internal hemorrhoids rarely have pain, external hemorrhoids are commonly painful.
The best way to handle hemorrhoid pain is to prevent them, but there are many hemorrhoid treatment options available if you end up with hemorrhoids.
Here are list of the best hemorrhoid products by category:
There are many questions associated with hemorrhoids and the pain that comes with them.
Talk to your doctor if pain becomes unbearable.
Ease Pain And Itching
Take warm baths. Soak in a bathtub filled with a few inches of warm water for about 15 minutes at a time. Do it two or three times a day and after every bowel movement. If you want to wash the area, too, use unscented soap and don’t scrub.
Pat gently afterward to dry. You can even use a blow dryer on a cool setting if that feels better.
There are also special “sitz baths” you can put directly on your toilet seat to make soaking easier.
Ice it. Put a small cold pack on the trouble spot several times a day. It can dull pain and bring down the swelling for a little while.
Consider painkillers. An over-the-counter medicine, like acetaminophen, aspirin, or ibuprofen, could help with soreness.
Don’t scratch. You could damage the skin and make the irritation — and the itching — worse.
Choose cotton. Wear loose, soft underwear. It keeps the area aired out and stops moisture from building up, which can bother your hemorrhoids.
Read Also: How Can Hemorrhoids Go Away
When To Seek Medical Care For Hemorrhoids
When to call the doctor
- Bleeding from the rectum or anus is never normal and although hemorrhoids are the most common reason to have blood in the stool, it should be discussed with your primary health-care professional. Other causes ofrectal bleeding exist and can be serious. Inflammatory bowel disease and cancers of the colon can present with rectal bleeding. Blood in the stool should never be ignored.
- Medical care should be sought urgently if a person is taking anticoagulation medications such as warfarin , dabigatran , rivaroxiban , apixaban , clopidogrel , prasugrel or enoxaparin .
- Individuals who have associated symptoms such as lightheadedness and weakness may have significant blood loss and may require more urgent care.
- Hemorrhoids do not cause abdominal pain should this pain be present with bleeding, medical care should be sought immediately.
- Prolapsed hemorrhoids that cannot be pushed back through the anus require medical care.
- Thrombosed external hemorrhoids may cause significant pain and medical care may be necessary to remove the clot.
Aloe Vera For Hemorrhoid Pain Relief
Aloe vera is a well-studied natural remedy to alleviate many irritating skin problems. You can also use aloe vera as a natural remedy for hemorrhoids by applying it to your anal area. Aloe vera helps to relieve irritation and also helps pass stool with less pain.
Many scientific studies have shown that aloe vera can help to relieve anal pain and hemorrhoids. For example, a 2018 review of many studies into natural treatments for hemorrhoids revealed that aloe vera has great potential when used as a home remedy for hemorrhoids.5
The results of a double-blind clinical trial on a cream for hemorrhoids containing aloe vera also found that it is effective for anal fissure pain.6
You can also use a mixture of coconut oil and aloe vera to cure external hemorrhoids. Please read this article on how to combine aloe vera and coconut oil to make your own lotion.
Don’t Miss: How Bad Can Hemorrhoids Get
Use Simple Toilet Paper
Scented and coloured toilet paper contain extra chemicals that could irritate sensitive areas. Dampen plain, white, unscented toilet paper or use a moist towelette when you need to wipe. Follow up by applying an unscented moisturizer with a facial tissue.
Here are seven tips for healthy bowel movements.
Home Remedies And Lifestyle
Generations have used home remedies to shrink hemorrhoids and prevent them from returning. Some treat the hemorrhoid directly, while others are aimed at alleviating the bowel irregularities that are often at the heart of the problem.
The following remedies can provide significant relief of acute hemorrhoid symptoms:
- Ice packs can relieve local inflammation and pain, but should never be placed directly on skin or left on for longer than 10 minutes.
- A sitz bath, in which a person sits in a tub of warm water for 10 to 20 minutes, can help reduce itching and irritation. Epsom salts or baking soda is often added to help alleviate inflammation.
- Witch hazel may decrease bleeding and prevent infection by acting as an astringent. You can dab it on gently with a cotton ball or even add a couple of tablespoons to a sitz bath.
- Aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil, and coconut oil are natural remedies that can help soothe and shrink minor external hemorrhoids. Avoid creams or lotions that contain these products and opt instead for the pure refined oil.
Good anal hygiene is also essential to avoid further injury and infection.
This can include a perianal irrigation bottle to squeeze warm water onto the anus after a bowel movement and disposable baby wipes to gently dab the area clean.
Also Check: What Kind Of Surgeon Removes Hemorrhoids
Tea Tree Oil To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids
The beneficial properties of the tea tree oil are effective in reducing inflammation and curing hemorrhoids naturally. Mix the oil with an essential oil for using it to treat hemorrhoids. It is very strong so just use a drop with other oils. Add one or two drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil. You can pair tea tree oil with castor oil or sweet almond oil and apply it directly over the inflamed area with a cotton. This will help to shrink the hemorrhoids and give you relief from the pain . Regularly usage of tea tree oil will shrink the hemorrhoids until it cures completely. You can also pair it with essential oils like lavender essential oil and rosemary essential oil.
Symptoms Of Internal Hemorrhoids
Symptoms of internal hemorrhoids vary depending on their severity. Even as hemorrhoids worsen, you arent likely to experience pain due to the lack of nerve endings in the lower rectal area. Pain associated with hemorrhoids is typically caused by an associated condition, such as anal fissures or external hemorrhoids.
If you cant feel internal hemorrhoids, then how do you know theyre there?
In most cases, its because you begin to notice bleeding. You may see blood in your stool or notice it on the toilet paper when you wipe. Because this blood has a short path to travel outside the body, it should be bright red. You may not notice it right away if the bleeding is light.
While bleeding is the most common indicator of internal hemorrhoids, you may experience other symptoms if a hemorrhoid prolapses. This typically happens during a bowel movement, and in many cases, the tissue will go back in on its own. In other cases, you may have to push the tissue back in. In the case of Grade IV hemorrhoids, the tissue will remain prolapsed.
Its important to note that bleeding is also a common symptom of colorectal cancer, as well as internal hemorrhoids. Thats why we recommend you see a physician right away if you are experiencing any rectal bleeding, especially if it is accompanied by other suspect symptoms.
Only a qualified physician can accurately diagnose internal hemorrhoids.
Also Check: What Causes Hemorrhoids To Itch And Burn
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Painful Hemorrhoids At Home