About Dr David Heiman
Dr. David R. Heiman is Endoscopy Medical Director and a gastroenterologist at Florida Medical Clinics North Tampa location. He specializes in treating patients with conditions like hemorrhoids, IBS, GERD, and hepatitis, as well as performing endoscopies and colon cancer screenings. Dr. Heiman is dedicated to helping patients find treatment plans that work best for them and that address all of their medical concerns.
Also Check: How To Shrink External Hemorrhoids
Avoid Constipation And Straining At The Toilet
Keep the stools soft, and don’t strain on the toilet. You can do this by:
- Eating plenty of fibre .
- Have lots to drink. Most sorts of drink will do but too much alcohol and caffeine should be avoided.
- Fibre supplements. If a high-fibre diet is not helping, you can take fibre supplements such as ispaghula, methylcellulose, bran or sterculia.
- Avoid painkillers that contain codeine, such as co-codamol, as they are a common cause of constipation. However, simple painkillers such as paracetamol may help.
- Toileting. Go to the toilet as soon as possible after feeling the need. Do not strain on the toilet.
- Regular exercise helps to reduce constipation.
These measures will often ease piles symptoms such as bleeding and discomfort. It may be all that you need to treat small and non-prolapsing piles . Small grade 1 piles often settle down over time.
Simple Ways To Treat Hemorrhoids
There are natural ways you can use at home to treat the symptoms that are associated with hemorrhoids. You can find them in your kitchen, kitchen garden, or your local store or pharmacy . Some of these home remedies include:
The normal tissue paper that you use in the toilet may be harsh on your hemorrhoids and is probably making them worse. You can use soothing wipes instead because they relieve irritations and even reduce swelling. They are made from anti-itch ingredients like hydrocortisone and witch hazel. You can purchase them online or in your local drug store.
Ice packs are often used on bruises, cuts, and skin irritations because they help in reducing pain, tissue damage, and inflammation. They do this by shrinking your blood vessels. Wrap the ice pack in a towel or cloth to avoid cold burns and press it on the hemorrhoids for 15-20 minutes.
Loose Cotton Clothing
Tight clothes made of polyester especially underwear and pants cause the development of hemorrhoids and make them worse. They hinder the smooth flow of blood and also contribute to the build-up of sweat which irritates the hemorrhoids further. Wear breathable cotton underwear and pants to keep the anal area dry and clean and hemorrhoids symptoms will reduce.
Recommended Reading: How To Heal Internal Hemorrhoids Fast
You May Like: Heating Pad For Thrombosed Hemorrhoid
Avoid The Old Treatments
In many cases, hemorrhoid treatment with creams and suppositories has been unsuccessful for years. This no longer needs to be the case. We have helped thousands of patients get the help they deserve. Expensive painful hemorrhoid surgery should be avoided. The pain and complications can lead to weeks of misery and missed work. Other surgical alternatives such as infrared coagulation , Freezing , Lasers and Doppler Ligation are known for their highest cost, pain, and in some cases need for anesthesia and a visit to the operating room.
There is no reason to delay finding the relief you deserve. Hemorrhoids are easier to treat when they are smaller and not protruding.
Call us today to schedule an appointment find nearest location.
Its Crucial To Rule Out Other Problems Besides Hemorrhoids
Most people who have hemorrhoids discover them by either feeling the lump of an external hemorrhoid when they wipe after a bowel movement noticing drops of blood in the toilet bowl or on toilet paper or
feeling a prolapsing hemorrhoid after bowel movements.
With a history of symptoms, physicians like those of us at Alabama Colon & Rectal Institute, can make an accurate diagnosis on the basis of an examination of the anus and anal area. We want to identify the hemorrhoids, but its also very important that we rule out other causes of hemorrhoid-like symptoms, such as: anal fissures, fistulae, bowel disorders like ulcerative colitis, blood coagulation disorders, perianal skin diseases, infections, and tumors.
We want to stress that you should not assume that rectal bleeding is due to hemorrhoids, especially if you are over 40 years of age. Rectal bleeding can occur with other diseases, including colorectal cancer and anal cancer. If you have bleeding along with a noticeable change in bowel habits or if your stools change in color or consistency, consult your doctor. These types of stools can signal more extensive bleeding elsewhere in your digestive tract. Seek emergency care if you experience large amounts of rectal bleeding, lightheadedness, dizziness or faintness.
What we can do about hemorrhoids & what to expect at your appointment
Prevention & treatment for hemorrhoids
Also Check: Can Ice Cubes Help Hemorrhoids
Understanding Piles Or Hemorrhoids
Suffering from pain while passing stool? Feeling as if something is obstructing the passage of stool? Having bleeding along with stool? If you have any of the above mentioned symptoms, you could be suffering from piles or hemorrhoids. Medically speaking, piles are veins in the rectal area that swell due to various reasons. The swollen veins may be inside the rectal ring or outside and are accordingly called internal or external piles. In some severe cases, the piles protrude from within the anal canal and have to be reduced or put back inside manually.
Symptoms Of Thrombosed External Hemorrhoids
External hemorrhoids can be felt as bulges at the anus, but they usually cause few of the symptoms that are typical of internal hemorrhoids.
External hemorrhoids can cause problems, however, when blood clots inside them. This is referred to as thrombosis. Thrombosis of such a hemorrhoid causes an anal lump that is
- very painful,
- tender, and
- often requires medical attention.
The thrombosed hemorrhoid may heal with scarring, and leave a tag of skin protruding in the anus. Occasionally, the tag is large, which can make anal hygiene difficult or irritate the anus. Even after such a hemorrhoid goes away, a residual skin tag may remain, and this may need to be surgically removed.
Read Also: Can You Put An Ice Cube On A Hemorrhoid
No Drugs Or Creams To Cure Hemorrhoids
This cure for hemorrhoids does not involve drugs or messy creams. No typical treatment is needed that can make a mess. While these treatments may help with the side effects they are not a cure for hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids do not go away on their own for most people and they will need to suffer. A person can learn the secret to getting rid of them and will help bring the body back into balance. A person will learn how to balance out their body internally and they will be able to have the hemorrhoids out of their system in as little as 8 weeks. This is the answer to how long does it take hemorrhoids to go away and keep them away for good. A person will not have to feel any pain when they follow this system and they will be able to understand their body and how to take care of it.
It has taken many years of research that went into how long does it take hemorrhoids to go away and this method was discovered using a holistic approach. In this method, no medications or surgery are needed. There have been hundreds of hours of research that went into developing this technique.
Basic Facts About Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are a common condition in people who are between the ages of 45 and 65. A hemorrhoid is a tissue which contains enlarged veins either inside the rectum or outside the anal opening.
They may cause pain, itching, bleeding, and irritation, but for the most part, are not dangerous. There are several levels of severity from mild, to moderate, and severe.
You May Like: Hemorrhoids Rash Treatment
Prevention Tips & How To Find Relief
There are many different treatment options for patients looking for at-home solutions. Smaller hemorrhoids can be successfully treated at home through a combination of dietary changes and OTC medicines.
- Get more fiber in your diet. Eating more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can help ease digestion. If you have trouble changing your diet, talk to your doctor and ask if a fiber supplement may work for you. Drinking more water can also help.
- Use over-the-counter pain relievers and hemorrhoid creams. Oral pain relievers containing acetaminophen and ibuprofen can help reduce discomfort. Topical creams can also relieve pain and itching.
- Soak in a sitz bath. A sitz bath involves sitting in a warm, shallow bath for 10 to 15 minutes to promote blood flow and keep the perianal area clean. Some manufacturers make sitz bath apparatuses that can be attached directly to a toilet seat, but you can also use a regular bathtub.
- Sit on a donut cushion. Donut-shaped cushions can help reduce the pressure on your tailbone when sitting. Cushions like these can help alleviate anal pain and discomfort, especially for patients who spend most of their day sitting at work.
- Limit your time on the toilet. Sitting on the toilet for too long can increase pressure in the veins in your anus and rectum, which can lead to hemorrhoids. Dont stay on the toilet for longer than you need toit may help to keep your phone out of the bathroom and remove any magazines or books that you keep nearby.
Address And Fix The Cause Of Your Hemorrhoids
How to Stop Hemorrhoids In their Tracks
There are several things you can do to get fight back against your hemorrhoids.
Also Check: How To Fix Hemorrhoids After Pregnancy
By Step Guide How To Cure Hemorrhoids
This program uses different information and is a clinically proven holistic plan to help cure hemorrhoids. This system is natural and is safe to use. This will help boost the immune system and will help a person get their energy levels back. This system has helped thousands of people that suffer from hemorrhoids get their life back. When a person signs up for this system they can download it from the internet and get to work following it within a matter of minutes. A cure for piles is a lot quicker than most people would think. A person will get the result of 12 years of research and over 45,000 looking for cures for hemorrhoids until an effective treatment was discovered.
This method can be customized to help a person treat their specific condition. There is a step-by-step guide on how to look for factors in the body that can be leading to hemorrhoids and help a person overcome this problem. This system will be a cure and a person will not have to worry about this condition coming back. It will be gone from their lives forever. The developer of this system suffered from hemorrhoids for many years and found that this system helped them. There were no theories written by a doctor but rather a real person with this condition. They wanted to learn how long does it take hemorrhoids to go away and once they have found the answer wanted to share their research with others that suffered from the same pain and embarrassment.
Blood Clots In The Hemorrhoid
External hemorrhoids can be very painful if they become thrombosed. Thrombosed hemorrhoids are usually purple-blue.
A thrombosed hemorrhoid occurs when the veins that cause the bulge in the hemorrhoid develop a blood clot. As a result, blood is unable to flow to the hemorrhoid, and the effect can be extremely painful.
The body will often absorb the blood clot, therefore reducing the symptoms and easing the pain.
When the blood clot passes or the body reabsorbs it, an external hemorrhoid may sometimes leave behind a perianal skin tag. A doctor may recommend surgical removal if this skin tag regularly catches stool and is difficult to keep clean.
Treatments include home remedies and surgery.
Examples of home remedies people can use to treat hemorrhoids include:
- taking warm baths
- gently cleaning the anus after a bowel movement, often by using moistened wipes or cotton pads
- applying cloth-covered ice packs to reduce swelling
- taking over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, to relieve pain and discomfort
- applying ointments, such as creams with witch hazel or hydrocortisone- that relieve itching
Read Also: Can You Use Biofreeze On Hemorrhoids
Treatments For Hemorrhoids In Atlanta Ga
Many cases of hemorrhoids can be treated at home with over the counter medications to relieve the symptoms. Sitz baths to reduce the inflammation, topical medications and stool softeners can relieve most symptoms especially with mild to moderate cases.
More severe cases can be treated by an in office procedure. They will greatly reduce the symptoms but will not cure the condition.
The most severe cases may require a surgical intervention known as a Hemorrhoidectomy. This treatment has the lowest percentage of recurrence.
Medicines For Treating Piles
Theres a range of medicines that can help to relieve the symptoms of piles. Always read the patient information leaflet that comes with your medicine and ask your pharmacist for advice if you have any questions.
- If youre passing hard poo, a fibre supplement such as ispaghula husk or mild laxative such as lactulose will soften it.
- Over-the-counter painkillers, such as paracetamol, may help to ease any pain from piles. Dont take painkillers that have an opioid in them , as these could make you constipated and add to your problems.
- Soothing creams, ointments and suppositories may ease any pain and itchiness from piles. There are lots of different products available over the counter. Some contain a local anaesthetic such as lidocaine. Only use these for a few days as they may affect the sensitivity of your skin ask your pharmacist for more information.
- Products that contain corticosteroids, such as Anusol HC and Proctosedyl, may reduce swelling and pain. Dont use these for more than a week as they can damage the skin around your anus. Most are available over the counter and others on prescription.
It can sometimes take up to a month for self-help measures and medicines to work. If your symptoms dont improve after this time, contact your GP. They may refer you to a specialist.
Also Check: Do Ice Cubes Help Hemorrhoids
What Natural Home Remedies Soothe Or Cure Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoid symptoms of pain and itching can be treated at home by doing the following.
Warm Sitz Baths
- Sitting in a few inches of warm water three times a day for 15 to 20 minutes may help decrease the inflammation of the hemorrhoids.
- It is important to dry off the anal area completely after each Sitz bath to minimize irritation of the skin surrounding the anus.
- Increased fluid intake and dietary fiber will decrease the potential for constipation and lessen the pressure on the rectum and anus during a bowel movement, minimizing further swelling, discomfort, and bleeding. Dietary fiber supplements also may help bulk up the stools
- Stool softeners may help. A health-care professional or a pharmacist are good resources to discuss their use.
- Individuals with hemorrhoids should not sit for long periods of time and may benefit from sitting on an air or rubber donut available at most local pharmacies.
- Exercise is helpful in relieving constipation and in decreasing pressure on the hemorrhoidal veins. Individuals should be encouraged to have a bowel movement as soon as possible after the urge arises and not sit on the toilet for long periods of time. Once that urge passes, stools can become constipated and straining with a bowel movement may occur.
Homeopathic Treatment For Piles Or Hemorrhoids
When we talk of piles treatment in Homeopathy, the biggest advantage is that it is a non surgical option and that too a very successful one. There is no fun getting a surgery done when the chances of recurrence remain pretty high. When you compare this to the Homeopathic treatment for piles, Homeopathy offers a much better alternative to the surgical treatment of hemorrhoids or piles. This is because of three reasons which I have seen hundreds of times in my practice. One is that homeopathy cures the problem permanently. Secondly there is no recurrence of the problem. Third reason is that the homeopathic treatment for piles is much easier to have when compared to getting a surgery done. Homeopathic medicines like Aesculus Hippocastinum, Aloes, Ratanhia, Nitric Acid, Hamamelis, Collinsonia and Graphites are very helpful in the treatment of hemorrhoids or piles.
N.B Homeopathic medicines are very safe and do not have any side effects when taken under the supervision of an expert homeopathic doctor.
Get in touch with our homeopathic doctors to know how homeopathy can cure your problem.
Read Also: What Kind Of Doctor Fixes Hemorrhoids