What Causes Internal And External Hemorrhoids And Simple Ways To Treat Them
Hemorrhoids are usually caused by increased pressure due to pregnancy, being overweight, or straining during bowel movements. By midlife, hemorrhoids often become an ongoing complaint. By age 50, about half the population has experienced one or more of the classic symptoms, which include rectal pain, itching, bleeding, and possibly prolapse . Although hemorrhoids are rarely dangerous, they can be a recurrent and painful intrusion. Fortunately, there’s a lot we can do about hemorrhoids.
What Should I Eat If I Have Hemorrhoids Diet
Individuals with hemorrhoids should soften their stools by increasing the fiber in their diets.
Fiber is found in numerous foods, including
- fresh and dried fruits,
- whole grains, and
In general, 20 to 30 grams of fiber per day is recommended, whereas the average American diet contains less than 15 grams of fiber. Fiber supplements, like psyllium, methylcellulose, and calcium polycarbophil, also may be used to increase the intake of fiber.
Stool softeners and increased drinking of liquids also may be recommended, as well as bulk-forming laxatives. Nevertheless, the benefits of fiber, liquids, and stool softeners have not been well-tested with respect to hemorrhoidal control in scientific studies.
Related Conditions And Causes Of Hemorrhoids
Gastrointestinal problems such as constipation and diarrhea can lead to or worsen hemorrhoids. The prolonged sitting or straining that may occur when youâre dealing with these issues puts pressure on the hemorrhoidal tissue.
Hemorrhoids also often develop during pregnancy. This is similarly due to greater pressure in the area but can also be due to an increase in blood volume and as a result of hormonal changes that increase the likelihood of swelling. Constipation during pregnancy is a common cause of hemorrhoids.
You May Like: What Do Internal Hemorrhoids Feel Like To Touch
Can Hemorrhoids Be Prevented Or Avoided
Just about everyone has hemorrhoids at some time. But some things may make you more likely to get them. People whose parents had hemorrhoids may be more likely to get them. Pregnant women often get hemorrhoids because of the strain from carrying the baby and from giving birth. Being very overweight or standing or lifting too much can make hemorrhoids worse.
What Questions Should I Ask My Doctor
You may want to ask your healthcare provider:
- Why did I get hemorrhoids?
- What is the best treatment for me?
- What lifestyle changes can I make to keep from getting hemorrhoids again?
- When will symptoms improve?
- Should I look out for signs of complications?
A note from Cleveland Clinic
An estimated 15 million Americans have sought treatments for hemorrhoids at some point in their lives. But many more suffer needlessly. Dont be too embarrassed to talk to your healthcare provider about your symptoms. If hemorrhoids cause pain or discomfort, your provider has treatments that can help. You can also take steps to keep hemorrhoids from coming back.
Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 01/18/2021.
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Hemorrhoids After Giving Birth
What Actually Are Thrombosed External Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the lower area of the anus/rectum. Hemorrhoids can occur inside the lining of the anus or rectum , or one may form at the anal opening . A thrombosed hemorrhoid happens when blood clots become trapped inside hemorrhoid. It is a common complication of hemorrhoids. Generally, external thrombosed hemorrhoids look like dark bluish lumps. The color is due to a blood clot inside a blood vessel. Symptoms that accompany a thrombosed hemorrhoid are often more severe than normal and may include:
Severe Hemorrhoids Vs Mild Hemorrhoids: Stages
Many physicians use a grading system to categorize hemorrhoids along four stages:
- First-degree hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids that bleed, but do not prolapse. These are slightly enlarged hemorrhoids, but they do not protrude outside the anus.
- Second-degree hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids that prolapse and retract on their own . These may come out of the anus during certain activities like passing stool, and then return back inside the body.
- Third-degree hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids that prolapse and must be pushed back in by a finger.
- Fourth-degree hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids that prolapse and cannot be pushed back in the anal canal. Fourth-degree hemorrhoids also include hemorrhoids that are thrombosed or that pull much of the lining of the rectum through the anus.
Recommended Reading: Does Emuaid Work For Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoid Home Remedies: Warm Sitz Bath
A sitz bath refers to sitting in a few inches of warm water three times a day for 15 to 20 minutes. A sitz bath may help decrease the inflammation of hemorrhoids. Drying off the anal area completely after each sitz bath is important for minimizing moisture that irritates the skin surrounding your rectal area.
Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- Why do I have hemorrhoids?
- Are there any lifestyle changes I can do that can relieve or prevent hemorrhoids?
- I saw blood on toilet paper. Is this serious?
- Are having hemorrhoids a sign of another health condition?
- Will I always have hemorrhoids?
- Is there medicine I can take for hemorrhoids? Are there side effects?
Recommended Reading: How To Fix Hemorrhoids After Pregnancy
Do Hemorrhoids Go Away On Their Own
Small external hemorrhoids should go away by themselves while treating the symptoms with home remedies. Natural home remedies can help to make hemorrhoids go away quicker by reducing inflammation and irritation around the anal opening.
The Mayo Clinic recommends eating high-fiber foods and drinking plenty of fluids to help reduce the pressure on your anus and help make piles go away faster. You should also avoid straining when trying to poop because this could aggravate the swollen veins around the anus even more and delay the healing process.5
To help hemorrhoids go away on their own quicker, doctors also recommend not sitting on the toilet for long periods of time. This will prevent more pressure building up around the anal region that can delay the healing process.6
However, some types of hemorrhoids may require medical procedures to remove them. For example, internal hemorrhoids last much longer than external hemorrhoids and are more difficult to treat and heal. If external hemorrhoids are large and painful and internal hemorrhoids have severely prolapsed, a surgeon may surgically remove them under local anesthetic.6 It could take up to 6 weeks for these types of hemorrhoids to heal.
Other procedures to treat hemorrhoids include various methods to cut off the blood supply to internal hemorrhoids and shrink them.
About Dr David Heiman
Dr. David R. Heiman is Endoscopy Medical Director and a gastroenterologist at Florida Medical Clinics North Tampa location. He specializes in treating patients with conditions like hemorrhoids, IBS, GERD, and hepatitis, as well as performing endoscopies and colon cancer screenings. Dr. Heiman is dedicated to helping patients find treatment plans that work best for them and that address all of their medical concerns.
You May Like: Can Ice Cubes Help Hemorrhoids
How To Soar To Self
Different Types of Hemorrhoids
There are two types of hemorrhoids: external and internal. External hemorrhoids arise from the anal canal, while internal hemorrhoids arise from the rectum, immediately above the anal canal. According to Cuckoo Choudhary, MD, associate professor of gastroenterology at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, one type is not worse than the other, but both can cause problems. “It all depends on the size and degree of the hemorrhoid,” Dr. Choudhary says. “Untreated internal hemorrhoids can cause bleeding. External hemorrhoids can cause thrombosis , which gives way to severe pain from hemorrhoidal strangulation.”
Know When to See Your Doctor
Though the annoyance of hemorrhoids can be reason enough to call your doctor, use this checklist to know when a visit is a must:
- If you’re experiencing any type of rectal bleeding
- If the hemorrhoids are causing you pain or discomfort
- If the problems persist despite trying over-the-counter hemorrhoid creams or other remedies
- If you’re passing stools that look maroon in color or tarry in color, a sign of bleeding
If you experience a large amount of rectal bleeding that is accompanied by dizziness or faintness, be sure to seek emergency medical care immediately.
Causes And Risk Factors
The underlying cause of hemorrhoids that form in the anus or rectum is still a matter of debate. One theory is that it is due to the breakdown of the supporting tissues in the anal canal.
When hemorrhoids are untreated, last for a long time, or are under more physical pressure, they can become prolapsed and protrude out of the anus or rectum.
There are several risk factors for prolapsed hemorrhoids, including:
- Advanced age
- Overuse of anti-diarrhea medications
Sometimes, placing something in the anus, such as during sexual activity, or for medical treatment, can also cause pressure, resulting in a prolapsed hemorrhoid.
Don’t Miss: Brazilian Wax With Hemorrhoids
Home Remedies For Hemorrhoids Pain Relief
A hemorrhoid, being a swollen blood vessel, is treatable through methods that help ease inflammation and promote blood flow. The first thing you should do when dealing with a hemorrhoid is to avoid making things worse. This means minimizing possible irritants:
- After a bowel movement, blot the anus with toilet paper that has been moistened with water or cleansing agents. Alternatively, you can use a bidet to clean and then pat dry the area.
- Avoid pre-moistened toilet wipes unless they are alcohol and perfume-free. These can dry out the area and aggravate your symptoms.
- Wear cotton and/or loose underwear to minimize moisture buildup, which can irritate the area.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects and sit on a pillow when possible.
- Increase your fiber and water intake in order to make bowel movements go more easily.
- Topical ointments like Preparation H can be applied to ease irritation
- Take a sitz bath to help soothe the anal area and reduce swelling. More information on sitz baths for hemorrhoids can be found here.
- In cases of external hemorrhoids, an ice pack or a cold compress can help reduce swelling.
- Dip a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and apply to an external hemorrhoid. This will sting but it does relieve the itching and pain.
- Do not deny your sphincter. If you feel the urge to go to the bathroom, do it. The longer stool sits in your body, the harder it gets and the more straining is required.
- Stay active.
How Do Healthcare Providers Treat Hemorrhoids
You should see your healthcare provider if symptoms get worse or interfere with your daily life or sleep. Also seek help if signs dont improve after a week of at-home treatments. Your provider may treat hemorrhoids with:
- Rubber band ligation: A small rubber band placed around the base of a hemorrhoid cuts off blood supply to the vein.
- Electrocoagulation: An electric current stops blood flow to a hemorrhoid.
- Infrared coagulation: A small probe inserted into the rectum transmits heat to get rid of the hemorrhoid.
- Sclerotherapy: A chemical injected into the swollen vein destroys hemorrhoid tissue.
Surgical treatments include:
- Hemorrhoidectomy: Surgery removes large external hemorrhoids or prolapsed internal ones.
- Hemorrhoid stapling: A stapling instrument removes an internal hemorrhoid. Or it pulls a prolapsed internal hemorrhoid back inside the anus and holds it there.
You May Like: Ice Cube On Hemorrhoids
How To Heal Hemorrhoids: Over
Products used to treat hemorrhoids are available as
- foams, and
When used around the anus, ointments, creams, and gels should be applied as a thin covering. When applied to the anal canal, these products should be inserted with a finger or a “pile pipe.” Pile pipes are most efficient when they have holes on the sides as well as at the end. Pile pipes should be lubricated with ointment prior to insertion. Suppositories or foams do not have advantages over ointments, creams, and gels.
Hormone Therapy For Prostate Cancer
Jump to a section
Hormone therapy is also called androgen suppression therapy. The goal is to reduce levels of male hormones, called androgens, in the body, or to stop them from fueling prostate cancer cells.
Androgens stimulate prostate cancer cells to grow. The main androgens in the body are testosterone and dihydrotestosterone . Most androgen is made by the testicles, but the adrenal glands as well as the prostate cancer itself, can also make a fair amount. Lowering androgen levels or stopping them from getting into prostate cancer cells often makes prostate cancers shrink or grow more slowly for a time. But hormone therapy alone does not cure prostate cancer.
Read Also: Does Enlarged Prostate Cause Constipation
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids After Giving Birth
Temporary Vs Permanent Options
There are a variety of at-home hemorrhoid remedies to choose from. However, while these will mask your symptoms for a short time, they provide only temporary relief. By contrast, hemorrhoid treatment performed by a qualified physician, such as the CRH ORegan System, can relieve your hemorrhoids permanently. If you want to get rid of your hemorrhoids, not simply mask the symptoms, consider a more permanent option.
Aloe Vera For Hemorrhoids
Aloe vera is a soothing skin treatment that can help to reduce swelling, discomfort, and pain in both internal and external hemorrhoids. Pure aloe vera gel has a powerful anti-inflammatory effect and can help to calm an itchy anus.
To cure hemorrhoids, doctors usually recommend using a 1% hydrocortisone cream to alleviate swelling around the anus. However, pure aloe vera gel has been proven to be an even better anti-inflammatory ointment than hydrocortisone cream. A study published in the journal Skin Pharmacology and Physiology found that 97.5% aloe vera gel was more effective at reducing skin inflammation than 1% hydrocortisone cream.8
To soothe burning and itching around your anus, apply pure aloe vera gel directly to the affected area. After a bowel movement, clean yourself with damp toilet tissue and pat yourself dry. Gently massage a little aloe vera gel to your anal opening. Do this after every time you poop to relieve the itchiness of hemorrhoids and speed up the healing process. You can also massage a little aloe vera to your hemorrhoids 2-3 times a day to relieve any itching that they cause.
Also Check: Emuaid For Internal Hemorrhoids
Change In Bowel Habits
With a prolapsed internal hemorrhoid you may develop the sensation that you cant fully evacuate your bowels. You may also notice a mucous discharge or difficulty cleaning yourself following a bowel movement because of displaced toilet tissue.
These symptoms can be uncomfortable but easily treated with medical intervention.
Over The Counter Medications For Hemorrhoids
- Brand names listed as examples do not imply better quality over other brands. Generic equivalents may also exist.
- Use only as directed on the package, unless your healthcare provider instructs you to do otherwise.
- OTCs may interact with other medications or be potentially harmful if you have certain medical conditions. Talk to your pharmacist about options that are right for you.
Don’t Miss: Hemorrhoids Rash Treatment
What To Do If Hemorrhoids Wont Go Away
Well to answer your question, first we need to look at what hemorrhoids are,and what make them hard to treat.
Hemorrhoids are thin ripped veins at the end of the rectum, these veins sometimes bulge out of the anus and form a small hanging lump.
Hemorrhoids fall into two categories, internal and external, the latter arent painful, and sometimes may go away on their own, however the external ones are nutritious for the pain they cause to their holders.
Most people, who suffer from external hemorrhoids, experience unbearable itching and burning down there. Some, even, found it difficult to move comfortably and perform everyday tasks.
The sad truth is that most people treat their hemorrhoids the wrong way, and then wonder why they arent getting any better.
Let me explain.
You see when faced with hemorrhoids, most people resort to the conventionaltreatment, such as using creams and ointments.
The problem with such approach to treating hemorrhoids is that it only works for a short period of time, and if you stop using the cream, then your hemorrhoids revert back to its initial condition.
I myself have used many creams to treat my hemorrhoids for many months. I tried many brands, and every time I go for a stronger one, but they all fail to give that lasting relief. You become depended on them, and if you stop using them, your hemorrhoids will come back again..
He learned that water helps the body to flush out toxins and wastes,thus reducing the chances for constipation to occur.
Treatment To Lower Androgen Levels From The Adrenal Glands
LHRH agonists and antagonists can stop the testicles from making androgens, but cells in other parts of the body, such as the adrenal glands, and prostate cancer cells themselves, can still make male hormones, which can fuel cancer growth. Drugs are available that block the formation of androgens made by these cells.
Abiraterone blocks an enzyme called CYP17, which helps stop these cells from making androgens.
Abiraterone can be used in men with advanced prostate cancer that is either:
- High risk
This drug is taken as pills every day. It doesnt stop the testicles from making testosterone, so men who havent had an orchiectomy need to continue treatment with an LHRH agonist or antagonist. Because abiraterone also lowers the level of some other hormones in the body, prednisone needs to be taken during treatment as well to avoid certain side effects.
Ketoconazole , first used for treating fungal infections, also blocks production of androgens made in the adrenal glands, much like abiraterone. Its most often used to treat men just diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer who have a lot of cancer in the body, as it offers a quick way to lower testosterone levels. It can also be tried if other forms of hormone therapy are no longer working.
Ketoconazole also can block the production of cortisol, an important steroid hormone in the body, so men treated with this drug often need to take a corticosteroid .
Recommended Reading: Emuaid Max For Hemorrhoids