Rush Excellence In Hemorrhoid Care
- Quick access to Rush doctors: You usually dont have to wait more than one week to see an expert in treating hemorrhoids at Rush. We offer virtual and in-person appointments with flexible times at locations across the Chicago area.
- Expertise in complex hemorrhoid care: Our colon and rectal surgeons specialize in treating patients with difficult-to-treat hemorrhoids using minimally invasive and robotic techniques.
- Painless approach to hemorrhoid banding: Our doctors offer a unique way to get rid of hemorrhoids called the CRH ORegan System. It can be performed in the doctors office in just minutes with little to no discomfort. You can even return to work the same day.
- Experience in digestive health: When you come to Rush, your team includes some of the countrys most skilled doctors in treating hemorrhoids. This expertise is recognized nationwide. U.S. News & World Report ranked Rush University Medical Center as one of the countrys best hospitals for gastroenterology and GI surgery.
- Second opinions on surgery: If youre thinking about having hemorrhoid surgery, we can help you understand your options so you can make the best decision for your care and feel better faster.
Recommended Reading: Can Internal Hemorrhoids Cause Back Pain
Common Causes Of Hemorrhoids
Doctors are unable to pinpoint the exact cause of hemorrhoids, but numerous activities and risk factors can increase their presence in North Carolina patients. Common causes of hemorrhoids include:
- Straining during bowel movements
- Increased pressure due to obesity
- Sitting for long periods of time on the toilet
- Eating a low-fiber diet
As we age, hemorrhoids become more common. By age 50, half of older adults experience one or more common symptoms of hemorrhoids. While this condition is not usually dangerous, hemorrhoids can be a significant and painful intrusion in daily life.
December 22, 2017 by inx Medical
If you suffer from hemorrhoids, the good news is that lower grade hemorrhoids can resolve on their own with at-home treatments. But what if they get to the point where you need to see a doctor to treat them? How do you choose where to go and what doctor is right for you?
Heres what you should know about finding the right doctor for you:
What Type Of Doctor Should I Go To For My Hemorrhoids And Urinary Problems
Ask U.S. doctors your own question and get educational, text answers â its anonymous and free!
Ask U.S. doctors your own question and get educational, text answers â its anonymous and free!
HealthTap doctors are based in the U.S., board certified, and available by text or video.
Recommended Reading: How To Care For Hemorrhoids
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Hemorrhoids From Anus
What To Expect At Your Appointment
Surgery, where the excess tissue causing the blood is removed, is only required in a small number of hemorrhoids cases. Such removal is known as hemorrhoidectomy.
In any event, if the symptoms don’t go away, Dr. Dacha urges people to see a doctor, not only to confirm a diagnosis of hemorrhoids, but also to eliminate other possible diseases.
Surgical Options For Hemorrhoid Treatment Do I Need Surgery
Only a small percentage of people require hemorrhoid surgery, and we will almost always prescribe it after other, less invasive procedures have failed. In certain cases, we recommend patients to a colorectal surgeon with whom we work closely. We can discuss the case with the surgeon in order to establish an effective treatment plan for your specific situation. You should discuss questions regarding further surgical options and recovery with your surgeon directly. We usually recommend surgery after less invasive procedures have been unsuccessful or are unlikely to be successful. Some of the surgical treatments that we may suggest are listed below.
Only a small percentage of people require hemorrhoid surgery, and we will most likely recommend it after other less invasive procedures have been unsuccessful.
Read Also: How To Treat Hemorrhoids Naturally
Are There Any Specific Diets Or Alternative Therapies For Hemorrhoids
The most common piece of advice for the hemorrhoidal disease is to eat more fiber and stay hydrated. However, putting this advice into practice is not always so simple. Consider aiming for 25 to 30 g of fiber a day. This amount is more than twice what the average American consumes. Ideally, you should aim to drink six to eight glasses of water and other liquids each day, excluding diuretics such as alcohol and coffee. Lifestyle changes are used in many alternative hemorrhoid treatments. Listed below are a few tips to help alleviate the symptoms of this health issue. Consult your gastroenterologist about your treatment to ensure that it is the best next step for you.
- Avoid straining when trying to pass a stool, as this puts greater pressure on the veins in your lower rectum.
- If you feel the urge to pass a bowel movement, try to go as soon as you can.
- Exercise helps to prevent constipation.
Although these lifestyle changes can be beneficial, it is still necessary to consult a gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. We look forward to meeting you.
As the best-in-class gastroenterologists, our hemorrhoid doctors provide highly personalized and comprehensive care. Their philosophies regarding the doctor/patient relationship are based on trust and have earned them some of the most respected reputations in New York.
What Is The Treatment For Hemorrhoids
Mild cases of hemorrhoids may resolve on their own in a few days.
Home treatments for hemorrhoids include:
- Drink plenty of water
- Dont strain during bowel movements
- Dont sit on the toilet for long periods
- Warm sitz baths
- Available in drugstores
- Soak the buttocks in 2 to 3 inches of warm water for 10 to 15 minutes, two to three times daily
- Do not use soap, bubble bath, or other additives in the water
Recommended Reading: What Type Of Doctor Removes Hemorrhoids
Here Is A Small Sample Of What Youll Learn When You Download Your Copy Of The Hemorrhoid No More System Today: Doctor That Takes Care Of Hemorrhoids
The proven 5-step multi-dimensional Hemorrhoid No More Anti- Hemorrhoids Success System that has helped thousands of men and women to end the pain, bleeding and discomfort sometimes within days and eliminate all types of Hemorrhoids completely within 8 weeks
Discover EVERYTHING you need to know about Hemorrhoids, EXACTLY what causes your hemorrhoids and their related symptoms
The top eight best anti-Hemorrhoids foods you should eat all the time
The top ten worst foods you should never eat when you have Hemorrhoids
The shocking truth about conventional Hemorrhoids treatments and hemorrhoids surgeries and the medication trap. Discover Why Most Lotions, Ointments and Suppositories Dont Work and how you can finally free yourself and use the natural approach forever
If Youre Increasing Fiber and Water Inatke With No Results, Tty This Amazing Technique Instead
Discover Exactly What To Do If Your Hemorrhoid has Thombrosed Or If Your Hemorrhoid is Internal. This Secret Technique has Worked For Thousands of Sufferers Worldwide
When To Go See A Doctor If You Suspect That You Have Hemorrhoids
Bleeding during bowel movements is the most common sign of hemorrhoids. Rectal bleeding can also be a sign of other serious conditions, so it is important that you see a doctor in order to rule out other conditions and confirm hemorrhoids. A simple physical exam and medical history can help to confirm this.
Your healthcare provider will create a care plan for you based on:
- Your age, overall health, and past health
- How serious your case is
- Whether you have internal hemorrhoids, external hemorrhoids, or both
- How well you handle certain medicines, treatments, or therapies
- If your condition is expected to get worse
- What you would like to do
The main goal of treatment is to reduce your symptoms. This may be done by:
- Sitting in plain, warm water in a bathtub several times a day
- Using ice packs to reduce swelling
- Using hemorrhoid creams or medicines inserted into your rectum
Your healthcare provider may also suggest that you add more fiber and fluids to your diet to help soften your stools. Having softer stools means you dont have to strain during bowel movements. This reduces the pressure on your hemorrhoids.
Adding more fiber to your diet means eating more:
You May Like: Can Hemorrhoids Be Removed By Laser
Are There Any Home Remedies For Hemorrhoids
You can sometimes manage moderate pain, swelling, and inflammation of hemorrhoids with home treatments, such as:
- Aloe vera. Historically, people widely used aloe vera to treat hemorrhoidal disease and certain skin conditions. It is thought to have anti-inflammatory properties that assist in reducing irritation.
- Witch hazel. This product can help alleviate pain, itching, and swelling. It is available in liquid form and can be applied directly to hemorrhoids.
- A warm bath with Epsom salt. A warm bath can help relieve the irritation from hemorrhoids. We recommend taking a warm bath for 20 minutes after every bowel movement. You can achieve greater relief by adding Epsom salts to the bath.
Complications Of Rectal Prolapse
- Ulcers in the rectum. These can lead to bleeding.
- A prolapse that cant be pushed back into the rectum. Emergency treatment is necessary in this case because the blood supply to the prolapse will be cut off, resulting in pain.
- Damage to the muscles and nerves in the sphincter. These can worsen fecal incontinence.
Recommended Reading: Can You Remove External Hemorrhoids
You May Like: What Can Cause External Hemorrhoids
How Can I Treat My Hemorrhoids
You can most often treat your hemorrhoids at home by
- taking a stool softener or a fiber supplement such as psyllium or methylcellulose
- drinking water or other nonalcoholic liquids each day as recommended by your health care professional
- not straining during bowel movements
- not sitting on the toilet for long periods of time
- taking over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin
- sitting in a tub of warm water, called a sitz bath, several times a day to help relieve pain
Applying over-the-counter hemorrhoid creams or ointments or using suppositoriesa medicine you insert into your rectummay relieve mild pain, swelling, and itching of external hemorrhoids. Most often, doctors recommend using over-the-counter products for 1 week. You should follow up with your doctor if the products
- do not relieve your symptoms after 1 week
Most prolapsed internal hemorrhoids go away without at-home treatment. However, severely prolapsed or bleeding internal hemorrhoids may need medical treatment.
When Is It Time To Seek Medical Care For Hemorrhoids
Drinking more water, eating more fiber, and taking over-the-counter medications may help hemorrhoids to resolve on their own at home. However, often a doctor can help you get effective relief faster than you might on your own. And, in some cases, your symptoms could indicate a condition more serious than hemorrhoids. Thats why its always better to be safe than sorry and get your hemorrhoids evaluated sooner rather than later.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Get My Hemorrhoids To Stop Bleeding
Do Hemorrhoids Go Away On Their Own
Find a physician near you.
Hemorrhoids are a chronic disease, meaning the symptoms persist for a long time and are constantly recurring. If you have experienced recurring bouts of hemorrhoids, your hemorrhoids likely wont go away on their own. Left untreated, hemorrhoids often get worse over time and therefore harder to treat. This means that a hemorrhoid that could easily be treated today could eventually require surgery.
If youre unsure if you have hemorrhoids, consult with your doctor to get an accurate diagnosis and see if you should have a colon cancer screening, or a colonoscopy. Typically, adults over the age of 50 should undergo colonoscopy at least every 10 years, or more frequently if your family has a history of GI issues.
Look For Board Certification In Colon And Rectal Surgery
The American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery holds certified surgeons to the highest standards. There are very stringent educational, experiential, and testing requirements they must meet, in addition to passing the written Qualifying examination and the oral Certifying examination from the American Board of Surgery.
A board certified specialist will have at least four years of medical school in addition to at least five years of extensive general surgery training. In addition to all that, they will also undergo an additional year or more of supervised colon and rectal specialty training in an accredited fellowship program under the supervision of a certified specialist. This translates into a much higher level of operative and treatment experience than a general practitioner.
Don’t Miss: Does Enema Help With Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids Are Rarely A Matter Of Life Or Death But They Can Make Some Peoples Lives Seem Unbearable Due To Possible Symptoms Of Pain Itching Swelling Bleeding And Protrusions Symptomatic Hemorrhoids Are One Of The Most Common Complaints A Physician Evaluates
The problem is undiscriminating it can occur in both men and women of any age. Often, hemorrhoids enlarge and become increasingly bothersome with age.
Reports estimate that at least 50% of individuals over the age of 50 have some form of symptomatic hemorrhoids. Many patients try to doctor their own hemorrhoids they spend over $100 million a year on nonprescription remedies. Many are able to control their problem by increasing the fiber content of their diets, maintaining normal weight and avoiding straining during bowel movements.
Patients who have hemorrhoids that dont respond to self-care measures should consult a physician. Not all rectal growths are hemorrhoids, and although rectal bleeding is not necessarily a sign of colon cancer, it should be evaluated to rule out the possibility. Hemorrhoids may be a sensitive subject for most people, but it no longer has to be a painful one. There are now new techniques that can be performed in the privacy of a physicians office, curing the condition quickly, safely, painlessly, and with no downtime.
What Makes This Hemorrhoids Breakthrough So Exciting Is That It Gives You The Power Todoctor That Takes Care Of Hemorrhoids
Doctor That Takes Care of Hemorrhoids Hemorrhoid No MoreT is a 150 page downloadable e-book, jam-packed cover to cover with all the secret natural Hemorrhoids cure methods, unique powerful techniques and the step-by step holistic Hemorrhoids system Ive discovered in over 14 years of research. This program contains all the information youll ever need to eliminate your Hemorrhoids permanently in weeks, without using drugs, without surgery and without any side effects.
Read Also: What To Do To Relieve Hemorrhoids
What Can My Doctor Do To Fix Hemorrhoids Can They Shrink Them
There are multiple ways a hemorrhoid doctor or general practitioner can treat hemorrhoids if they arent responding to an increase in fiber, fluids, exercise, and over-the-counter treatments. Your doctor can handle many of those treatments during a routine office visit. The doctor uses several different methods to cut off blood flow to the hemorrhoidal area, which stops bleeding and often reduces swelling, shrinking the hemorrhoid without cutting it off.
How Can I Prevent Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are common as you get older. These steps can help prevent hard stools and constipation that can lead to hemorrhoids:
- Dont sit too long or push too hard on the toilet.
- Go the toilet when the urge hits dont delay bowel movements.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Eat more high-fiber foods or take supplements. Generally, women should aim for 25 grams of fiber per day, while men should get 35 grams of fiber.
- Stay physically active. Being on the move keeps bowels moving.
- Take laxatives or use enemas only as recommended by your healthcare provider. Too many laxatives or enemas can make it hard for your body to regulate how you poop.
Read Also: Can Hemorrhoids Cure Without Surgery
Hemorrhoid Remedies You Can Try On Your Own At Home
There are several steps you can take at home to ease the discomfort caused by hemorrhoids:
- Take a sitz bath two to three times daily for 15 to 20 minutes. Sit in warm water, covering just your hips and buttocks. This can help reduce itching and irritation. You can take a sitz bath in a few inches of water in a regular tub, but small tubs that fit over toilet seats are also available for this purpose at pharmacies. Following a sitz bath, gently pat the area dry to avoid further irritation.
- Use ice packs on the area to relieve swelling and pain.
- Dont push too hard or strain while passing a bowel movement.
- Keep the area clean by bathing or showering daily with warm water. After bathing, gently pat the area dry. You can even use a hair dryer to dry the area.
- Sit on cushions rather than hard surfaces to help lessen the swelling of hemorrhoids and keep new ones from forming.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or aspirin as needed.
What Additional Qualifications Are Required By Hemorrhoid Specialists
After finishing medical school, a hemorrhoid specialist will complete a four-year residency in order to train in a major discipline, such as the vascular field or in gastroenterology. Once licensed to practice in one of these fields, a hemorrhoid specialist must then undertake a two-year fellowship to acquire the skills and specialist knowledge this area of medicine demands.
The Leading Medicine Guides quality assurance is ensured by the following acceptance prerequisites.
- At least 10 years of experience in medical treatment
- Mastery of modern diagnostic and surgical procedures
- Representative number of annual surgeries, treatments and therapies
- Outstanding focus of treatment in their special field
- Active member of a leading national medical society
- Managerial position
Read Also: How To Heal Hemorrhoids On The Inside