Hemorrhoid Medication: When Why And Which Ones To Use
A number of OTC creams, ointments, and pads that contain hydrocortisone or witch hazel are available to help relieve pain, swelling, and itching caused by hemorrhoids. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, doctors recommend using over-the-counter products for a week. If symptoms persist beyond a week, follow up with your doctor.
Creams and suppositories containing hydrocortisone can cause the skin to weaken and thin, so they should not be used for more than a week. If any of these creams cause a rash or dry skin around the area, contact your healthcare provider.
Avoid laxatives, which can lead to diarrhea and worsen hemorrhoid symptoms.
What Should I Eat If I Have Hemorrhoids Diet
Individuals with hemorrhoids should soften their stools by increasing the fiber in their diets.
Fiber is found in numerous foods, including
- fresh and dried fruits,
- whole grains, and
In general, 20 to 30 grams of fiber per day is recommended, whereas the average American diet contains less than 15 grams of fiber. Fiber supplements, like psyllium, methylcellulose, and calcium polycarbophil, also may be used to increase the intake of fiber.
Stool softeners and increased drinking of liquids also may be recommended, as well as bulk-forming laxatives. Nevertheless, the benefits of fiber, liquids, and stool softeners have not been well-tested with respect to hemorrhoidal control in scientific studies.
Can I Pop A Hemorrhoid
Although a hemorrhoid may feel like a firm pimple, it is not recommended that you pop it to release blood and reduce its size. Its very easy to damage the delicate tissue of the anus. Given the area is exposed to high amounts of bacteria thanks to bowel movements, popping a hemorrhoid would cause an open wound extremely vulnerable to infection.
Don’t Miss: Can Ice Cubes Help Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoidal Artery Ligation And Recto Anal Repair
Hemorrhoidal Artery Ligation and Recto Anal Repair is a new procedure in which a miniature Doppler sensor is inserted in the anus to detect the arteries supplying blood to hemorrhoids. The surgeon can pinpoint the arteries supplying the hemorrhoids and can tie them off to cut the blood supply. The hemorrhoids are reduced almost immediately and within weeks, are no longer noticeable. The procedure is effective and virtually painless, but it is not simple.
Address And Fix The Cause Of Your Hemorrhoids
How to Stop Hemorrhoids In their Tracks
There are several things you can do to get fight back against your hemorrhoids.
Also Check: Emuaid Max For Hemorrhoids
Improving Your Diet And Lifestyle
Medicines For Treating Piles
Theres a range of medicines that can help to relieve the symptoms of piles. Always read the patient information leaflet that comes with your medicine and ask your pharmacist for advice if you have any questions.
- If youre passing hard poo, a fibre supplement such as ispaghula husk or mild laxative such as lactulose will soften it.
- Over-the-counter painkillers, such as paracetamol, may help to ease any pain from piles. Dont take painkillers that have an opioid in them , as these could make you constipated and add to your problems.
- Soothing creams, ointments and suppositories may ease any pain and itchiness from piles. There are lots of different products available over the counter. Some contain a local anaesthetic such as lidocaine. Only use these for a few days as they may affect the sensitivity of your skin ask your pharmacist for more information.
- Products that contain corticosteroids, such as Anusol HC and Proctosedyl, may reduce swelling and pain. Dont use these for more than a week as they can damage the skin around your anus. Most are available over the counter and others on prescription.
It can sometimes take up to a month for self-help measures and medicines to work. If your symptoms dont improve after this time, contact your GP. They may refer you to a specialist.
You May Like: Can You Put An Ice Cube On A Hemorrhoid
Related Resources For Hemorrhoids
* Prescription savings vary by prescription and by pharmacy, and may reach up to 80% off cash price.
Pharmacy names, logos, brands, and other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This article is not medical advice. It is intended for general informational purposes and is not meant to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your physician or dial 911.
Can Hemorrhoids Be Prevented Or Avoided
Just about everyone has hemorrhoids at some time. But some things may make you more likely to get them. People whose parents had hemorrhoids may be more likely to get them. Pregnant women often get hemorrhoids because of the strain from carrying the baby and from giving birth. Being very overweight or standing or lifting too much can make hemorrhoids worse.
Don’t Miss: Hemorrhoid Rash Treatment
Hemorrhoid Banding As A Definitive Solution For Hemorrhoids
While natural home remedies for hemorrhoids can provide temporary relief from symptoms, they are not a permanent fix. For long-term hemorrhoid relief, consider a treatment like hemorrhoid banding. Also known as rubber band ligation, hemorrhoid banding is a long-lasting technique for alleviating discomfort caused by hemorrhoids.
Specifically, the CRH ORegan System is the leading hemorrhoid banding treatment available. During the CRH ORegan System procedure, a small band is wrapped around the base of the hemorrhoid to restrict the blood flow to the hemorrhoidal mass. After a few days without a blood supply, the hemorrhoid shrinks and eventually falls off, along with the band. Typically, the hemorrhoid and band fall off during a regular bowel movement without the patient even noticing.
Talk to a doctor for more information on the right treatment and relief options for you. To get rid of your hemorrhoids once and for all, find a physician that offers the pain-free CRH ORegan banding procedure and get on the path toward the hemorrhoid-free life you deserve.
Heal Your Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoid Home Remedies: Warm Sitz Bath
A sitz bath refers to sitting in a few inches of warm water three times a day for 15 to 20 minutes. A sitz bath may help decrease the inflammation of hemorrhoids. Drying off the anal area completely after each sitz bath is important for minimizing moisture that irritates the skin surrounding your rectal area.
Also Check: Brazilian Wax With Hemorrhoids
What Causes External Hemorrhoids
External hemorrhoids are when one or more tender bumps form beneath the skin surrounding your anus. These are dilated blood vessels that have become so enlarged that they protrude.
Blood may clot, or thrombose, inside the protruding blood vessel. This can form a hard lump and cause considerable pain in some cases.
External and internal hemorrhoids are caused by many of the same factors. These include:
- Straining while pooping. The most common cause of external hemorrhoids is repeated straining while having a bowel movement. This is often caused by severe cases of constipation or diarrhea. Straining makes blood pool in the area.
- Sitting on the toilet for a long time. This can also put pressure on the tissues around your rectum and anus.
- Weakened support tissues. As you age, the tissues tend to weaken around the anus and rectum.
- Pregnancy.Pregnant people may also be at an increased risk of hemorrhoids because of the increased pressure of the abdomen on these veins.
- Obesity. Having excess weight has been associated with having hemorrhoids.
- Heavy lifting. You may have a higher risk of hemorrhoids if you frequently lift heavy objects.
- Not eating enough fiber. A low fiber diet may lead to constipation, which can cause hemorrhoids.
A range of symptoms can affect a person with external hemorrhoids. Symptoms vary depending on the severity. Some of the symptoms that you may have include:
Symptoms of external hemorrhoids may go away after a few days, according to the
What Are Common Side Effects Of Hemorrhoid Medicine
Hemorrhoid medications are generally considered safe drugs, however, as with all medications, there is the potential for side effects. If you decide to use a treatment that contains steroids, it is not advised to continue its use for more than one week as it can lead to skin damage.
Here are some side effects to look out for when using hemorrhoid medications, including creams and gels:
- Skin irritation at the site of application
- Rectal bleeding
- Severe irritation inside or around the rectum
- Allergic reaction, including rash, hives, or swelling of the lips
- Increased blood pressure
- Headache, dizziness, and nausea
Although side effects with these medications are rare, and this is not a comprehensive list, please speak to your healthcare provider immediately if you notice any signs of a negative reaction.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids After Giving Birth
How Do You Treat External Hemorrhoids Diagnosis
External hemorrhoids appear as bumps and/or dark areas surrounding the anus. If the lump is tender, it suggests that the hemorrhoid is thrombosed. Any lump needs to be carefully followed, however, and should not be assumed to be a hemorrhoid since there are rare cancers of the anal area that may masquerade as hemorrhoids.
Use Simple Toilet Paper
Scented and coloured toilet paper contain extra chemicals that could irritate sensitive areas. Dampen plain, white, unscented toilet paper or use a moist towelette when you need to wipe. Follow up by applying an unscented moisturizer with a facial tissue.
Here are seven tips for healthy bowel movements.
You May Like: What Do Internal Hemorrhoids Feel Like To Touch
What Are Two Types Of Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are enlarged, swollen veins in the lowest part of the rectum and anus. These veins bulge and get irritated, especially when the patient defecates, and cause bleeding. Hemorrhoids are also commonly called piles. It is one of the most common causes of rectal bleeding. Hemorrhoids occur in adults. It can cause significant pain and discomfort if left untreated.
There are two types of hemorrhoids:
- Internal hemorrhoids: They are present deep inside the rectum. They are usually not seen externally or felt and are painless.
- External hemorrhoids: They are present under the skin surrounding the anus. They are painful because of the painful, sensitive nerves surrounding the anus.
Hemorrhoids may go away on their own or with home remedies in a couple of weeks. If the hemorrhoids dont improve or the symptoms worsen, it is advised to consult a doctor to seek medical treatment.
Natural Hemorrhoids Cure With Butchers Broom
Another solution that you should be aware of if looking into how to heal hemorrhoids naturally is Butchers Broom. This plan, scientifically referred to as Ruscus aculeatus, is used in traditional medicine for relieving symptoms associated with varicose veins and its renowned as one of the most effective, if not the best natural cure for hemorrhoids.
While the mechanism of action isnt completely clear, it is known that this plant contains powerful anti-inflammatory active principles, which act by improving tone and integrity of blood vessels in the anal region, diminishing skin irritation and swelling.
The herbal remedy comes as tea or capsules, but due to its bitter taste the second form is more popular. However, if you opt for Butchers Broom tea as treatment for your condition, you can add some honey or stevia. Drink this beverage twice a day and improvements will become visible shortly!
Also Check: What Is Good To Use For Hemorrhoids
Also Check: Do Ice Cubes Help Hemorrhoids
What Is The Best Hemorrhoid Medication
With so many medications available to treat hemorrhoids, you may be wondering which option is the best. Like most prescriptions, that can only be determined by your healthcare provider on a case by case basis. The best option will depend on your medical history, the severity of your hemorrhoids, and if youre taking any other medications that may negatively interact with hemorrhoid medication.
To make things easier to understand, weve broken down some of the different prescription medications available to treat hemorrhoids:
|Best medications for hemorrhoids|
|30 gm of 2.5%||Shortness of breath, stomach pain, rectal bleeding, headaches|
Dosage is determined by your doctor based on your medical condition, response to treatment, age, and weight. Other possible side effects exist. This is not a complete list.
Again, the best option available for you will be determined by having an open conversation with your healthcare providers. Theyll take all the variables into account, such as your symptoms, lifestyle, medical history, and if youre taking any other medications that may interact with treatment.
Natural Ways To Treat Hemorrhoids At Home
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is one of the best natural remedies around for a variety of ailments, and the same is true when it comes to hemorrhoid treatment. Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and dab it on the affected area. You can do it a few times a day until the symptoms disappear, typically taking a few days. You can also sit in a sitz bath, and add half a cup of apple cider vinegar to it.
2. Rutin: This nutrient is found in a number of plants including oranges, grapefruit, lemon, cranberries, asparagus, and buckwheat, though you can purchase it as a supplement. Take 500 mg twice per day to relieve the symptoms and eliminate the hemorrhoids in about a week.
3. Coconut Oil: You can apply coconut oil directly to your hemorrhoids to offer relief from the itch and irritation. Softly rub it on with your hand or a cotton ball, rinse, and repeat. You should notice improvement within a few days.
4. Triphala: This is a traditional Ayurvedic remedy, found in health food stores as a supplement. This remedy can help regulate bowel movements and make them easier to pass, thus relieving hemorrhoid-causing pressure on the rectum and anus.
5. Aloe Vera: If you can handle the taste, taking a teaspoon of straight liquid aloe vera after meals can aid hemorrhoids by improving digestion. For soothing relief from the irritation of hemorrhoids and to promote healing, you can apply aloe vera to the affected area frequently.
Don’t Miss: Can You Use Biofreeze On Hemorrhoids
Aloe Vera For Hemorrhoid Pain Relief
Aloe vera is a well-studied natural remedy to alleviate many irritating skin problems. You can also use aloe vera as a natural remedy for hemorrhoids by applying it to your anal area. Aloe vera helps to relieve irritation and also helps pass stool with less pain.
Many scientific studies have shown that aloe vera can help to relieve anal pain and hemorrhoids. For example, a 2018 review of many studies into natural treatments for hemorrhoids revealed that aloe vera has great potential when used as a home remedy for hemorrhoids.5
The results of a double-blind clinical trial on a cream for hemorrhoids containing aloe vera also found that it is effective for anal fissure pain.6
You can also use a mixture of coconut oil and aloe vera to cure external hemorrhoids. Please read this article on how to combine aloe vera and coconut oil to make your own lotion.