Witch Hazel For Hemorrhoids Treatment
Witch hazel is often promoted as an effective topical treatment for hemorrhoids by natural health advocates. In fact, it is only effective for relieving some of the discomfort caused by hemorrhoids and not effective in treating the hemorrhoid itself.
According to some, witch hazel is supposed to be applied several times a day until the hemorrhoid shrinks. Lemon juice, tea tree oil, and aloe vera are some other natural topical treatments commonly recommended. The reality is that some of these natural topical treatments may be effective in temporarily relieving the discomfort caused by hemorrhoids but they will not go far in solving the problem itself.
C Surgical Hemorrhoid Shrinking Treatment
When is surgery hemorrhoids, necessary? Hemorrhoid surgery is needed if found symptoms of bleeding can not be controlled with other medications, visible internal and external hemorrhoids.
The best treatment for large hemorrhoids is surgically placed through the anus. And external hemorrhoids treatment is only with surgery, whose symptoms can not be cured naturally or helped by medicine. But hemorrhoids surgery need sometimes to recovery.
Some surgery treatment for hemorrhoids :
1. Stapled Hemorrhoidectomy
The procedure is by blocking the blood flow to hemorrhoids. It less pain than hemorrhoidectomy but the risk of recurrence is bigger than the last option.
The procedure is removing excessive tissues that cause bleeding. The best treatment for severe and recurring hemorrhoids. Painful after treatment is reported to happen to some people but it can relieve with medication.
But you must know that every treatment method needs time for hemorrhoids to shrink. Thats all the choices on how to shrink hemorrhoids quickly with home or medical treatment.
Best For Instant Relief: Thena Natural Wellness Organic Sitz Bath Soak
Another Epsom salt-enriched pick, this organic bath soak has the finest grain Epsom and Dead Sea salts that dissolve quickly to offer immediate relief, shrinking hemorrhoids, softening damaged skin, and neutralizing odor. The bath soak also uses magnesium oil to lubricate the perineum to repair damaged tissue to prevent infection. On average, Amazon shoppers give this product a respectable 4.6 stars.
I would recommend this for postpartum care or hemorrhoid care, one reviewer says. It was much better , and all that is needed It helped heal my episiotomy complications within a week.
Recommended Reading: How To Shrink Hemorrhoids Permanently
What Are The Risks Of Taking Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is relatively safe.
Although witch hazel contains a known cancer-causing ingredient, there’s likely no need for concern unless you regularly use high concentrations. The amounts are very small.
Because studies are limited, avoid using witch hazel if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Interactions. There aren’t any known interactions with drugs, foods, or other herbs and supplements.
Dietary supplements are not regulated by the FDA in the same way that food and drugs are. The FDA does not review these supplements for safety or efficacy before they hit the market.
Be sure to tell your doctor about any supplements you’re taking, even if they’re natural. That way, your doctor can check on any potential side effects or interactions with medications, foods, or other herbs and supplements. They can let you know if the supplement might raise your risks.
When To Seek Medical Care For Hemorrhoids
When to call the doctor
- Bleeding from the rectum or anus is never normal and although hemorrhoids are the most common reason to have blood in the stool, it should be discussed with your primary health-care professional. Other causes ofrectal bleeding exist and can be serious. Inflammatory bowel disease and cancers of the colon can present with rectal bleeding. Blood in the stool should never be ignored.
- Medical care should be sought urgently if a person is taking anticoagulation medications such as warfarin , dabigatran , rivaroxiban , apixaban , clopidogrel , prasugrel or enoxaparin .
- Individuals who have associated symptoms such as lightheadedness and weakness may have significant blood loss and may require more urgent care.
- Hemorrhoids do not cause abdominal pain should this pain be present with bleeding, medical care should be sought immediately.
- Prolapsed hemorrhoids that cannot be pushed back through the anus require medical care.
- Thrombosed external hemorrhoids may cause significant pain and medical care may be necessary to remove the clot.
Read Also: How Do You Remove Hemorrhoids
Read Also: Where To Buy Witch Hazel For Hemorrhoids
What Are Two Types Of Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are enlarged, swollen veins in the lowest part of the rectum and anus. These veins bulge and get irritated, especially when the patient defecates, and cause bleeding. Hemorrhoids are also commonly called piles. It is one of the most common causes of rectal bleeding. Hemorrhoids occur in adults. It can cause significant pain and discomfort if left untreated.
There are two types of hemorrhoids:
- Internal hemorrhoids: They are present deep inside the rectum. They are usually not seen externally or felt and are painless.
- External hemorrhoids: They are present under the skin surrounding the anus. They are painful because of the painful, sensitive nerves surrounding the anus.
Hemorrhoids may go away on their own or with home remedies in a couple of weeks. If the hemorrhoids dont improve or the symptoms worsen, it is advised to consult a doctor to seek medical treatment.
Are Suppositories An Option
Some drugs can also be used in the form of normal suppositories, or suppositories with gauze inserts . These are inserted into the anus, where they stay and release the drug unlike normal suppositories that release the drug further up the bowel. It’s not clear whether suppositories can relieve the symptoms of enlarged hemorrhoids.
Recommended Reading: How To Take Care Of External Hemorrhoids
Does Lemon Juice Help Hemorrhoids
Whether the lemon juice is applied topically or consumed, it is very effective in treating hemorrhoids. You can also freeze the lemon juice and apply it to area for the twofer of a cold compress and the anti-inflammatory property of the lemon juice. Make a tea with lemon juice, warm water, ginger and honey.
Can You Use Witch Hazel On Your Vag
WITCH HAZEL is a botanical astringent from the plant Hamamelis virginiana. The wipes and pads are used to relieve itching, burning, and irritation caused by hemorrhoids or bowel movements. They may also be used to clean the outer vaginal area after childbirth or the rectal area following rectal surgery.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids Naturally
Should I See A Doctor
There are a variety of procedures that can be safely used to treat hemorrhoids. They often can be performed by your doctor in their office.
- Rubber band ligation.Rubber band ligation involves applying a tiny rubber band to the base of an internal hemorrhoid. This restricts blood flow, eventually causing the hemorrhoid to shrivel up and fall off.
- Sclerotherapy. This involves injecting a medicated solution into a hemorrhoid and has results similar to those of rubber band ligation.
- Bipolar, laser, or infrared coagulation. This method causes an internal hemorrhoid to dry up and eventually wither away.
- Electrocoagulation. An electrical current hardens the hemorrhoid, causing it to eventually fall off.
Its important to confirm that any anal lesions or bleeding are actually hemorrhoids. If youve been diagnosed with hemorrhoids and theyve become larger or more severe, your doctor may recommend more advanced treatment. Your doctor can help determine which procedure may be best for you based on the type and severity of your hemorrhoids.
These treatment options might involve general or regional anesthesia, as well as a potential stay overnight in the hospital:
If You’re Pregnant Lie On Your Left Side
Pregnant women are particularly prone to hemorrhoids, in part because the uterus sits directly on the blood vessels that drain the hemorrhoidal veins, says Lewis R. Townsend, MD. A special hemorrhoid remedy if you are pregnant is to lie on your left side for about 20 minutes every 4 to 6 hours, he says. This helps decrease pressure on the main vein, draining the lower half of the body.
Don’t Miss: Does Preparation H Make Hemorrhoids Go Away
Are Witch Hazels Safe For Use
Witch hazel is generally classified as safe and will not cause side effects for most people. In some rare cases where the extract is applied on the skin, there may be little complaints of irritation and itching, but the Witch hazel is often very safe that even with applied in moderate dosages, it is safe for use.
Witch hazel helps to reduce hemorrhoid pain and itching by working as an astringent. In small cases, a small number of people might also experience side effects like stomach upset.
Before applying Witch hazel in any way other than topical means, a physician and doctor should be consulted as some Witch hazel treatments that are not homemade may contain other substances that can be toxic to the body system on consumption.
Large doses of Witch hazel can cause serious problems like liver and other organ damages which is why it is imperative to adhere to the dosage recommendations as in indicated on the labels .
Tucks Medicated Pads are a witch hazel product specifically for hemorrhoids. Take a look at our Tucks Reviews to see if it’s the medicated pad you should choose.
For Pregnant women, any treatment to be used for caring for the hemorrhoid condition should be discussed with Doctors before use.
Witch hazel can also be used as suppository treatment but it is also equally important to consult with your hemorrhoid doctor to avoid the risk of complications or damage to the fetus.
Understanding Hemorrhoids Before Using Witch Hazel
Before treating hemorrhoids with witch hazel, the first thing that you need to do is making sure that you really have hemorrhoids. What is hemorrhoid? Basically, hemorrhoids are veins that are located at the canal of your anal that are swollen. These swollen veins could appear either inside or outside your body.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Thing To Do For Hemorrhoids
How Does Witch Hazel Work For Hemorrhoids
One of the few effective methods that can be employed to treat Hemorrhoids involves the use of Witch hazel . The Witch hazel plant has many species, but the exact specie known to treat hemorrhoids is the Hamamelis virginiana.
The Hamamelis virginania grows naturally as small trees or big shrubs in Nova Scotia, the Eastern coast of North America and the southern part of the united states, while its distant cousins and family members of the specie is also popular in America for use mostly as ornamental plants.
The Witch Hazel plant contains hundreds of active ingredients, but of these lot, ten types of ingredients have been shown to pose positive benefits in controlling and treating the symptoms of Hemorrhoids.
The main active ingredients of the Witch hazel fluid extract include:
Witch hazel has astringent, antibacterial and antiseptic features which makes it perfect for treating Hemorrhoids as these properties helps to minimize the swelling of tissues and cause inflamed veins and blood vessels to shrink.
Also, Witch hazel contains Tannins, which are great compounds for lessening the swelling of tissues and provide swift relief from burning sensations, itching and bleeding.
Home Remedies And Lifestyle
Generations have used home remedies to shrink hemorrhoids and prevent them from returning. Some treat the hemorrhoid directly, while others are aimed at alleviating the bowel irregularities that are often at the heart of the problem.
The following remedies can provide significant relief of acute hemorrhoid symptoms:
- Ice packs can relieve local inflammation and pain, but should never be placed directly on skin or left on for longer than 10 minutes.
- A sitz bath, in which a person sits in a tub of warm water for 10 to 20 minutes, can help reduce itching and irritation. Epsom salts or baking soda is often added to help alleviate inflammation.
- Witch hazel may decrease bleeding and prevent infection by acting as an astringent. You can dab it on gently with a cotton ball or even add a couple of tablespoons to a sitz bath.
- Aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil, and coconut oil are natural remedies that can help soothe and shrink minor external hemorrhoids. Avoid creams or lotions that contain these products and opt instead for the pure refined oil.
Good anal hygiene is also essential to avoid further injury and infection.
This can include a perianal irrigation bottle to squeeze warm water onto the anus after a bowel movement and disposable baby wipes to gently dab the area clean.
You May Like: What Causes Hemorrhoids In Men
Hemorrhoid Remedies You Can Try On Your Own At Home
There are several steps you can take at home to ease the discomfort caused by hemorrhoids:
- Take a sitz bath two to three times daily for 15 to 20 minutes. Sit in warm water, covering just your hips and buttocks. This can help reduce itching and irritation. You can take a sitz bath in a few inches of water in a regular tub, but small tubs that fit over toilet seats are also available for this purpose at pharmacies. Following a sitz bath, gently pat the area dry to avoid further irritation.
- Use ice packs on the area to relieve swelling and pain.
- Don’t push too hard or strain while passing a bowel movement.
- Clean your anus after each bowel movement by gently patting with moistened pads, such as baby wipes. Using hard, dry toilet paper, which may contain fragrance, can cause further irritation.
- Keep the area clean by bathing or showering daily with warm water. After bathing, gently pat the area dry. You can even use a hair dryer to dry the area.
- Sit on cushions rather than hard surfaces to help lessen the swelling of hemorrhoids and keep new ones from forming.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or aspirin as needed.
RELATED: 6 Easy Ways to Prevent Hemorrhoids
To Use Witch Hazel For Hemorrhoids
In order to treat hemorrhoids with witch hazel, witch hazel could be applied topically. To use witch hazel for hemorrhoids topically, you need to follow the steps below.
- Clean the anal areaTo keep the hygiene of the anal area, you need to shower or bathe daily. Baths are more recommended than showers since the bath will allow your anal area to stay longer in warm temperature water. You dont have to apply soap to keep the anal area clean. You only need to use hot or warm water instead. Clean the anal area gently since scrubbing the anal area harder will cause irritation.
prepare bathub for sitz bath
Recommended Reading: What Makes Hemorrhoids Go Away
Sitz Baths With Epsom Salts
A sitz bath is a localized, medically recommended soak of the affected area to relieve swelling and symptoms like itching. In other words, its just a warm bath for your hemorrhoids! There are sitz bath bowls you can buy that fit on your toilet, but you can also use your tub for a sitz bath treatment right away.
Sitz baths are helpful for hemorrhoids because they clean the area of any particulate, provide relief and help start the healing process, and they work even better for flare ups when the water is combined with therapeutic Epsom salt for hemorrhoids.
Here are directions for using a sitz bath with Epsom salts to soothe irritation and pain from hemorrhoids:
How Long Can I Use Witch Hazel For Hemorrhoids
Witch hazel can be used in a variety of ways for hemorrhoids. The continued application is dependent on the symptoms and extent to which the condition has progressed.
Since there are no exclaimed side effects, the treatment can be applied for weeks if reasonable improvements to the condition is felt.
In more severe cases, over-the-counter medications may be combined with Witch hazel applications and gynecologists or hemorrhoid doctors must be consulted if symptoms do not improve or begin to worsen after application.
Most Witch hazel applications are done topically , while pure witch hazel can be applied by soaking cotton balls or pads with the Witch hazel extracts to wipe the affected area.
The use of Witch hazel on baby wipes or toilet tissues may also bring results for some people while application of Witch hazel creams and ointments are other proven ways that bring results.
Before using Witch hazel on any material, pads or tissues, be sure to confirm that these materials do not have potentially irritating substances, perfumes or dyes that can worsen the symptoms of the hemorrhoids. Check out this blog post for a peek at the best hemorrhoid wipes
Read Also: How Do You Help Hemorrhoids