At What Age Can I See A Gynecologist
A gynecologist can treat a girl or a woman at any age. ACOG recommend starting to visit a gynecologist from the age of 13 to 15 years.
Building up a relationship with the doctor enables a girl or woman to be more comfortable asking questions about menstruation, sexuality and so on, and provides a point of contact if symptoms occur in future.
It also gives the doctor a chance to guide a womans overall welfare in the long term, through counseling on important health and lifestyle issues.
What Can My Doctor Do For Hemorrhoids
There are many ways that hemorrhoids can be handled and treated. These options vary depending on the condition, severity and location of the hemorrhoids. Below are methods that may be employed to treat your hemorrhoids.
Internal hemorrhoids may be injected with a solution that causes a scar to be formed and close off the hemorrhoids. This procedure will only hurt a little but is usually very effective.
2. Cauterization or Coagulation
This method is a painless method of burning off, removing and sealing the end of the hemorrhoids with an electric probe, infrared light or laser beam.
The Coagulation method allows the hemorrhoid to close and shrink and is most effective for treating prolapsed hemorrhoids.
3. Rubber band ligation
In this treatment, the doctor will put a small rubber band around the hemorrhoid to cut off blood supply to the tissues therein.
Rubber band ligations will usually cause the hemorrhoid to dry up, shrink in size and fall due to the unavailability of blood.
4. Surgery or Hemorrhoidectomy
For large internal or external hemorrhoids that keep on worsening and bring excruciating discomfort to the patient, a surgical procedure may be required to remove the hemorrhoids or a newer technique using staples may be applied.
Most of these medical treatments are effective in treating hemorrhoids.
The Initial Exam By A Hemroids Doctor Proctologist
A proctologist is a specific kind of specialist hemroids doctor, that works with the anorectal canal and subsequent structures. In other words, if it has to do with your hemroids, this is probably the hemroids doctor that will be looking at it first.
The hemroids doctor will want to take a look at the area, which will involve a lot of draping and quite a bit of effort to help you feel as though you and your privacy are safe and respected. The draping helps both you and the hemroids doctor to psychologically separate looking at such a private area from any loss of comfortable mental space to communicate in.
As I found in my first gynecological exam at the age of twenty two, while under normal circumstances I would be highly upset at someone I didnt know really, really well, even seeing such a part of me, hemroids doctors are well trained to make it as painless as possible.
After draping and initial external visual examination have taken place, the hemroids doctor may insert an anoscope to check for internal hemroids. This is a small, metal tube that has a port through which to see one quarter of the anal canals wall at a time. You can have it warmed up to a decent temperature first, if necessary.
After the proctologist one specialist type of hemroids doctor has taken a thorough look at the entire area to find anything that he or she needs to, a recommendation will be made from there as to further treatment.
Also Check: What Ointment Is Good For Hemorrhoids
Will My Doctor Use A Colonoscopy To Diagnose My Hemorrhoid
If your doctor feels something unusual or wants to look further to ensure accuracy in their diagnosis, they may perform a colonoscopy.
A colonoscopy gives your doctor the ability to examine your entire colon. A colonoscopy is performed at a medical treatment center or hospital under anesthesia.
During the procedure, your doctor will insert a small medical camera into the rectum to look closer at what is going on inside the rectum.
If I Need Surgery To Remove Hemorrhoids What Are My Options
If your symptoms dont respond to more conservativetreatments, you have options.
Noninvasive options include:
- Electrocoagulation, a minimally invasive procedure that can treat multiple hemorrhoids at the same time. This is also called the HET procedure.
- Doppler-guided hemorrhoid arterial ligation, which uses a special attachment to pinpoint the hemorrhoidal vessels and cut off the blood supply. This procedure is performed under anesthesia.
- A hemorrhoidectomy may be necessary for very large internal and external hemorrhoids or those that are acutely inflamed or thrombosed, Dr. Zutshi says. It involves cutting out the hemorrhoid tissue, which can be painful, especially during recovery. But there are less painful options available.
- Hemorrhoid stapling, in which a surgeon uses a special stapler to cut off the blood supply to the hemorrhoid. This kind of hemorrhoidectomy is thought to be less painful.
Which treatment is best will depend on yoursymptoms and your expectations, Dr. Zutshi says, and those should be discussedwith your doctor.
Also Check: What To Do For Really Bad Hemorrhoids
Recommended Reading: How Do You Catch Hemorrhoids
What Treatment Methods Are Used By Hemorrhoid Specialists
A visual examination by a primary care doctor is often enough to diagnose a simple case of hemorrhoids, which can then be treated by using:
- corticosteroid cream, which can help to reduce swelling and pain
- hemorrhoid cream containing lidocaine, which helps to reduce pain
- stool softeners designed to minimise straining and constipation
Other useful home treatments include:
- applying witch hazel with a cotton swab
- wearing cotton underwear
- avoiding perfumed and coloured toilet tissue
- avoiding scratching the area
- using a warm-water Sitz bath to relieve the symptoms
In more complex cases, these treatments may not be enough to cure the problem. Where surgery is a recommended option, it will usually involve one of these procedures:
Why Do Hemorrhoids Often Itch
Your anus is a very sensitive area, and when something isnt right down there, it can lead to inflammation and itchiness. In the case of hemorrhoids, the internal type can drag mucus from the rectum along if they slip outside your anus.
If the hemorrhoid stays prolapsed it may continue to secrete mucus. Your anus can find the mucus incredibly irritating, and this is what creates that unpleasant itchy sensation. Often the itch is made worse when the mucus and your stools combine as you poop.
Also Check: What Can I Do For Hemorrhoids
When Do Hemorrhoids Require Medical Intervention
Your hemorrhoids can be an embarrassing topic to discuss with anyone, even your doctor. But hemorrhoids are common and affect 5% of adults in the United States every year, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Its estimated, in fact, that as many as three in four adults will experience problems with hemorrhoids at some point in their lives.
Though you can find many treatments for hemorrhoids at your local pharmacy, home remedies dont help everyone. At Rivas Digestive Center, located in Hollywood, Florida, our expert gastroenterologist, Dr. John Rivas, wants you to know when its time to get medical help for your hemorrhoids.
Change In Bowel Habits
With a prolapsed internal hemorrhoid you may develop the sensation that you cant fully evacuate your bowels. You may also notice a mucous discharge or difficulty cleaning yourself following a bowel movement because of displaced toilet tissue.
These symptoms can be uncomfortable but easily treated with medical intervention.
You May Like: Why Are My Hemorrhoids So Painful
Tips For Healing Hemorrhoids Ebook $1999 Value Yours At No Cost
| Learn 20 useful tips to stop hemorrhoids forever.These tips cover what to do during flare-ups, pain reduction, hygiene, diet, and exercise. This valuable eBook comes as a bonus when you order Calmovil today.Helpful advice on
Order now and receive this free eBook INSTANTLY by email, so that you can start applying the advice and START FEELING BETTER TODAY!
General Surgeon & Colorectal Specialist
A general surgeon and a colorectal specialist can perform surgeries on hemorrhoids if they are severe enough in the form of a hemorrhoidectomy. Hemorrhoids may require surgery when they dont respond to non-surgical treatments or if it prolapses.
These doctors can perform hemorrhoid surgery and send you home that day after a brief observation and discussing aftercare to you and a trusted family member.
Recommended Reading: Do Probiotics Help With Hemorrhoids
When Should I See A Gi Doctor For Hemorrhoids
If you suspect you have hemorrhoids because youve found blood when you wipe, or your rectum feels sore, go see a gastroenterologist for peace of mind. A diagnosis of hemorrhoids may feel embarrassing, but its far preferable to the more serious conditions linked to a bleeding anus, such as anal cancer. And GI doctors are experienced in such matters so theres no need to feel any shame in the examination room.
A diagnosis also means you can pursue the right treatment. Hemorrhoids and anal fissures are often mistaken for each other, but they need to be handled differently.
You need to seek immediate medical attention if you experience anal pain that increases in intensity or spreads, or you have anal discharge or signs of an infection: raised temperature, fever, or chills.
Home Remedies For Hemorrhoids
As a first line of treatment, your doctor may recommend the following home treatments and techniques.
- Add high fiber foods to your diet.
- Take mild stool softeners or fiber supplements.
- Drink plenty of water and other clear fluids.
- Manage pain or itching with over-the-counter medications, creams, or ointments.
- Take a warm water bath or sitz bath .
- Use a warm compress to help soothe the affected area.
- Avoid spending a lot of time sitting on the toilet.
- Avoid straining/pushing with bowel movements
If your symptoms persist or worsen after one week of home treatments, visit your healthcare provider.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids Fast At Home
How Do You Treat Hemorrhoids
Simple preventive measures can reduce your risk of hemorrhoids in North Carolina. Simple home remedies include the following:
- Exercise regularly. Obesity is a significant risk factor when it comes to hemorrhoid development, and regular exercise can help you stimulate your bowels. Aim to get at least 20 minutes of moderate exercise each day.
- Seek topical treatments. Many drugstores in North Carolina sell hemorrhoid creams that can help soothe pain in the anal area while hemorrhoids heal. Placing an ice pack on the affected area can also reduce swelling in the area.
- Sit on cushions. Sitting on a soft surface rather than a hard surface can help reduce swelling and reduce the pressure.
- Facilitate regular bowel movements. Holding stool in can lead to increased pressure and straining during bowel movements. Scheduling time to go to the bathroom or going to the bathroom immediately can reduce hemorrhoid risk.
Look For Board Certification In Colon And Rectal Surgery
The American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery holds certified surgeons to the highest standards. There are very stringent educational, experiential, and testing requirements they must meet, in addition to passing the written Qualifying examination and the oral Certifying examination from the American Board of Surgery.
A board certified specialist will have at least four years of medical school in addition to at least five years of extensive general surgery training. In addition to all that, they will also undergo an additional year or more of supervised colon and rectal specialty training in an accredited fellowship program under the supervision of a certified specialist. This translates into a much higher level of operative and treatment experience than a general practitioner.
Read Also: What To Use For External Hemorrhoids
Choosing A Family Physician As Your Prenatal Care Practitioner
- A family physician might be right for you ifâ¦you want a doctor whos continually invested in all aspects of your health and your family.
- but keep this in mind: If complications occur, such as the need for a C-section, youll have to be referred to an obstetrician since family physicians dont typically perform these surgeries.
Read Also: Can You Donate Plasma When Pregnant
Key Points To Remember
- Home treatments for work for most people: Eat more fiber, drink more fluids, use a stool softener, and use ointments to help your symptoms.
- When home treatments dont work on internal hemorrhoids, fixative procedures may help. These are treatments that involve cutting off the blood flow to the hemorrhoids using rubber bands, lasers, heat, or electrical currents. These procedures are usually less painful than surgery.
- You might consider surgery to remove hemorrhoids for internal hemorrhoids that bulge from the anus or external hemorrhoids that are causing symptoms and have not improved with home treatment.
Also Check: How Bad Can Hemorrhoids Bleed
What Is The Best Doctor For Hemorrhoid Surgery
There are many reasons you may see a doctor for your hemorrhoids. But, some cases may require you seek treatment from a doctor who specializes in the treatment of conditions that affect the rectum or anus.
While a proctologist is commonly known as the specialist to handle these types of conditions, it is actually a gastroenterologist that treats hemorrhoids.
Gastroenterologists diagnose and treat conditions that affect the digestive tract. This can include the:
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Bowel changes
Some gastroenterologists perform surgery under anesthesia. In more severe cases, your GI doctor may refer you to a proctologist, or colorectal surgeon.
Most patients who see a colorectal surgeon must see a GI doctor first for a referral.
Avoid Making Hemorrhoids Worse
- Blot the anus gently with white toilet paper moistened with water or a cleansing agent after bowel movements. Baby wipes or other pre-moistened towels are also useful for this purpose.
- Avoid rubbing the anal area. You can rinse off in the shower or on a bidet instead of wiping yourself with toilet paper. After cleansing, gently pat the anal area dry with a soft, absorbent towel or cloth.
- Use soaps that contain no perfumes or dyes.
You May Like: How Can You Get Rid Of External Hemorrhoids
Don’t Miss: How To Clear Hemorrhoids Fast
Ingredients In Calmovil Vein & Colon Formula
As an dietary supplement, Calmovils Vein & Colon Formula contains only natural ingredients from herbs, trees, and plants.
|BILBERRY is found in Europe and is similar to blueberry. The bilberry improves blood flow and circulation. *|
|CAMOMILEhas a calming and regulatory effect on digestion. its properties areIt is great for diarrhea and indigestion, as it helps to stop irregular bowel movements.It also relieves stress and anxiety. Camomile contains flavonoid apigenin. Its a natural antihistamine that stops itching. *|
|BUTCHERS BROOM is an evergreen bush native to the Mediterranean region and northwest europe. Steroidal saponins are responsible for the medicinal actions of butchers broom. They helps tone and strengthen the veins and also act as a diuretic. Extract of Butchers broom also constricts blood vessels and has an anti-inflammatory effect. *|
|HORSE CHESNUT trees grow in Europe and contains Aescin, a substance that keeps veins elastic and strong. This, in turn, helps prevent the pooling of blood. It helps reduce swelling and strengthen and tone veins. *|
|NATTO EXTRACT Nattokinaseis an enzyme made from natto bacteria and boiled soybeans. Nattokinase enhances the bodys natural ability to maintain normal blood flow. Nattokinase promotes proper blood flow that is essential for circulatory health. *|
|DIOSMIN is a bioflavonoid found in Figwort plants. Used for over 30 years as an vascular-protecting and anti-inflammatory agent, it has been shown to be beneficial. *|
How Are They Diagnosed
Your doctor may perform one or more tests to examine the anal or rectal area for hemorrhoids:
- Looking at the anus or rectum for visible signs of hemorrhoids. A doctor should be able to easily diagnose an external or prolapsed internal hemorrhoid through a visual examination.
- Doing a digital rectal exam. The doctor will insert a finger covered with a lubricated glove into the anus or rectum to feel for signs of hemorrhoids with the fingers.
- Using an imaging scope to look at the inside of your rectum to examine for internal hemorrhoids. This usually consists of inserting a thin tube with the light on the end into your rectum. Tools used for this diagnosis may include an anoscope or sigmoidoscope.
Treatment may vary by type, degree of prolapse, or severity of your symptoms.
Here are some home remedies to try if your symptoms arent too severe:
- Use an over-the-counter hemorrhoid cream or witch hazel solution to relieve swelling and pain.
- Take pain medications, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen , to reduce pain.
- Use a cold compress to relive pain and swelling.
- Sit in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes. You can either fill a bathtub with warm water or use a sitz bath.
In some cases, your hemorrhoids may need to be removed to prevent pain and long-term complications. Some procedures for removal include:
Read Also: Can Petroleum Jelly Be Used For Hemorrhoids
How To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids: Diagnosis And Treatments
Most individuals who have hemorrhoids discover them by either
- feeling the lump of an external hemorrhoid when they wipe themselves after a bowel movement,
- noting drops of blood in the toilet bowl or on the toilet paper, or
- feeling a prolapsing hemorrhoid after bowel movements.
With a history of symptoms, a physician can begin diagnosis on the basis of a careful examination of the anus and anal area. Although the physician should try his or her best to identify the hemorrhoids, it is perhaps more important to exclude other causes of hemorrhoid-like symptoms that require different treatment such as
- anal fissures,
This is true whether or not hemorrhoids are found during anoscopy.