Hemorrhoid Remedies You Can Try On Your Own At Home
There are several steps you can take at home to ease the discomfort caused by hemorrhoids:
- Take a sitz bath two to three times daily for 15 to 20 minutes. Sit in warm water, covering just your hips and buttocks. This can help reduce itching and irritation. You can take a sitz bath in a few inches of water in a regular tub, but small tubs that fit over toilet seats are also available for this purpose at pharmacies. Following a sitz bath, gently pat the area dry to avoid further irritation.
- Use ice packs on the area to relieve swelling and pain.
- Don’t push too hard or strain while passing a bowel movement.
- Clean your anus after each bowel movement by gently patting with moistened pads, such as baby wipes. Using hard, dry toilet paper, which may contain fragrance, can cause further irritation.
- Keep the area clean by bathing or showering daily with warm water. After bathing, gently pat the area dry. You can even use a hair dryer to dry the area.
- Sit on cushions rather than hard surfaces to help lessen the swelling of hemorrhoids and keep new ones from forming.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or aspirin as needed.
RELATED: 6 Easy Ways to Prevent Hemorrhoids
How To Prevent Hemorrhoids
The most emphasized topic regarding hemorrhoids is its prevention . It’s high prevalence worldwide has become a significant concern, and various guidelines have been made to prevent its occurrence.
Dietary improvement is the best preventive strategy for this condition. Eating fiber-rich foods such as beans, vegetables, and fruits help to soften the feces. Fiber supplements are also a great alternative. Another critical and often neglected point is not to restrain bowel movement. One should not delay an urge to defecate.
If you place a step stool in front of the toilet seat and prop your feet up a bit while defecating, it helps you pass stools with ease and with minimum straining. Also, drinking 6 to eight glasses of water daily is a solution to softening the stool.
Refrain from straining and holding breath during defecation as this creates an increased force in the veins of the lower rectal canal and increases the chance of hemorrhoidal changes. Exercising regularly helps to prevent constipation, and in turn, the chances of developing hemorrhoids. Sitting for long periods is not healthy for overall body health and especially for hemorrhoids.
If you still develop constipation or suffer from long-standing constipation, take laxatives prescribed by your doctor, as constipation is a leading cause of hemorrhoidal disease. It is noteworthy to know that hemorrhoids are not cancerous, and they will not progress into cancers.
How To Heal A Hemorrhoid
Before you heal your Hemorrhoids, you need to understand the treatment options available for Hemorrhoids. If you want to non-invasive way to treat your Hemorrhoids quickly and effectively, you can use a medication that can reach deep into your skin to soothe the pain, itching and swelling from the Hemorrhoids. Watching your diet and avoiding certain chemicals can help ease the symptoms. However, you may want to do in-depth research or seek professional assistance for further information.
Modern Homeopathic Treatments That Reduce The Pain Infection And Inflammation
Here at EMUAID®, we understand that some skin conditions can be difficult to treat. After decades of dedicated research and effort, our unique EMUAID® delivery system was discovered, and it nourishes your skin with powerful healing ingredients. According to our satisfied customers, EMUAID® has helped them with alleviating the pain, infection, and inflammation from various chronic skin conditions, such as hemorrhoids, shingles, neuropathy, and more. Check out many of our happy customers’ stories about how EMUAID® has changed their lives at the customer review section on our website.
How To Shrink Hemorrhoid
Shrinking Hemorrhoids can be done in many ways. Some common examples include soaking the affected area in a sitz or warm bath and going for surgery. One method to soothe the Hemorrhoid symptoms fast is to apply the affected areas with a topical ointment that can reach deep into your skin to kill the bacteria and relieve the pain, itching and swelling.
Read Also: What Can I Do At Home For Hemorrhoids
What Causes Internal And External Hemorrhoids And Simple Ways To Treat Them
Hemorrhoids are usually caused by increased pressure due to pregnancy, being overweight, or straining during bowel movements. By midlife, hemorrhoids often become an ongoing complaint. By age 50, about half the population has experienced one or more of the classic symptoms, which include rectal pain, itching, bleeding, and possibly prolapse . Although hemorrhoids are rarely dangerous, they can be a recurrent and painful intrusion. Fortunately, there’s a lot we can do about hemorrhoids.
How To Use Suppositories For Internal Piles
Read the instructions in the leaflet that comes with the suppositories.
Also Check: What Do You Do For Hemorrhoids
Best Practice For Using A Suppository
Its possible to insert a suppository on your own. You may also ask a family member for help until you get used to doing it.
To start, you will need the suppository and the applicator that comes with it, if one is available. Youll also want to have soap and a sink nearby. Some people prefer to use a lubricating jelly to make inserting the medicine easier.
First, check that the suppository is firm. If the medicine is too warm, you may want to chill it in the fridge for a few minutes before inserting it. The cooling effect will also provide relief.
Empty your bowels if you can. The longer the medicine remains in place without being pushed out, the better.
How To Shrink Hemorrhoid Skin Tag
The most common home remedy to shrink Hemorrhoid skin tag is soaking the affected area in a sitz or warm bath. However, they dont kill bacteria that may cause you to get an infection. One quick method is using a topical ointment that can penetrate deep into your skin to eliminate bacteria and work on the affected areas.
Recommended Reading: Can You Use Vagisil For Hemorrhoids
How Can I Treat Hemorrhoids At Home
Hemorrhoids often go away on their own without treatment. Symptoms like pain and bleeding may last one week or slightly longer. In the meantime, you can take these steps to ease symptoms:
- Apply over-the-counter medications containing lidocaine, witch hazel or hydrocortisone to the affected area.
- Drink more water.
- Increase fiber intake through diet and supplements. Try to obtain at least 20-35 grams of daily fiber intake
- Soak in a warm bath for 10 to 20 minutes a day.
- Soften stool by taking laxatives.
- Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for pain and inflammation.
- Use toilet paper with lotion or flushable wet wipes to gently pat and clean your bottom after pooping. You can also use a tissue or washcloth moistened with water.
Symptoms Of Thrombosed External Hemorrhoids
External hemorrhoids can be felt as bulges at the anus, but they usually cause few of the symptoms that are typical of internal hemorrhoids.
External hemorrhoids can cause problems, however, when blood clots inside them. This is referred to as thrombosis. Thrombosis of such a hemorrhoid causes an anal lump that is
- very painful,
- tender, and
- often requires medical attention.
The thrombosed hemorrhoid may heal with scarring, and leave a tag of skin protruding in the anus. Occasionally, the tag is large, which can make anal hygiene difficult or irritate the anus. Even after such a hemorrhoid goes away, a residual skin tag may remain, and this may need to be surgically removed.
Hemorrhoid Medication: When Why And Which Ones To Use
A number of OTC creams, ointments, and pads that contain hydrocortisone or witch hazel are available to help relieve pain, swelling, and itching caused by hemorrhoids. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, doctors recommend using over-the-counter products for a week. If symptoms persist beyond a week, follow up with your doctor.
Creams and suppositories containing hydrocortisone can cause the skin to weaken and thin, so they should not be used for more than a week. If any of these creams cause a rash or dry skin around the area, contact your healthcare provider.
Why Trust Verywell Health
Rachael Schultz is a freelance writer with a focus in health and nutrition. Her articles have appeared on a handful of other Health sites, and she has a degree from the Savannah College of Art and Design. She specializes in breaking down science and medical jargon into digestible information.
Additional reporting to this story by Marlene Lenthang
As a health writer, knows just how important it is to find the right product for your body and mind. Over the years she has written about health crises, vaccines and product guides. She takes careful note of doctor recommendations, medical research and customer reviews in every product review to assure readers can choose quality products and understand the science behind them.
Don’t Miss: Is Emuaid Good For Hemorrhoids
How Long Does It Take For A Hemorrhoid To Heal
Hemorrhoids usually reduce in size within a week. Some may take a few weeks to be completely healed depending on how severe it is and the factors causing the symptoms.
However, applying medication can help quicken the healing process. Remember to get a medication that can reach deep into the skin to eliminate the bacteria and ease the Hemorrhoids symptoms.
Are There Natural Treatments For Hemorrhoids
First, some very good news: Neither type of hemorrhoid is dangerous, and severe complications that require medical care are rare. Symptoms often can be relieved by trying a few natural and self-care treatments.
- Draw a sitz bath. To relieve itching and irritation, fill a tub with three to four inches of warm water and sit in it with your knees bent for about 10 to 15 minutes. Gently pat yourself dry with a towel, but dont rub the area.
- Take fiber supplements. These draw water into your stool and make it easier to pass, helping to reduce hemorrhoid bleeding and inflammation. A psyllium husk fiber supplement, like Metamucil or a generic version, is a good choice. If psyllium causes gas or bloating, try a supplement with wheat dextrin or methylcellulose .
- Ease discomfort. Apply over-the-counter products that shrink the inflamed tissue and relieve itching. Try pads infused with witch hazel , or soothing creams that contain lidocaine, hydrocortisone, or phenylephrine .
You can also take steps to prevent flare-ups.
Also Check: Do Suppositories Help Heal Hemorrhoids
What Is The Best Otc Hemorrhoid Treatment
Most hemorrhoid medicines are prescriptions that contain a range of active substances to give short-term comfort of hemorrhoids symptoms. These are applied openly to the rectal and anal area and come in various forms, including gels, creams, pads, and suppositories. Hemorrhoid preparations might include constricting medications, protectants, numbing medications, hydrocortisone, combination products, and witch hazel.
Relieve Pain And Itching
- Take non-prescription pain relievers. Acetaminophen can help with pain. Aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen and naproxen can help with pain and swelling.
- Apply ice several times a day for 10 minutes at a time. Follow this by placing a warm compress on the anal area for another 10 to 20 minutes.
- Take a sitz bath. Fill your bathtub with just enough warm water to cover the anal area. Do this several times a day, especially after you have had a bowel movement. Soak for about 15 minutes at a time. Be careful! If the water is too warm, it can burn you.
Use non-prescription medicines as recommended by your doctor or pharmacist. See the Medications section of this topic for information on non-prescription ointments, creams, and suppositories.
You May Like: How Can I Treat My Dogs Hemorrhoids At Home
How Do Healthcare Providers Treat Hemorrhoids
You should see your healthcare provider if symptoms get worse or interfere with your daily life or sleep. Also seek help if signs dont improve after a week of at-home treatments. Your provider may treat hemorrhoids with:
- Rubber band ligation: A small rubber band placed around the base of a hemorrhoid cuts off blood supply to the vein.
- Electrocoagulation: An electric current stops blood flow to a hemorrhoid.
- Infrared coagulation: A small probe inserted into the rectum transmits heat to get rid of the hemorrhoid.
- Sclerotherapy: A chemical injected into the swollen vein destroys hemorrhoid tissue.
Surgical treatments include:
- Hemorrhoidectomy: Surgery removes large external hemorrhoids or prolapsed internal ones.
- Hemorrhoid stapling: A stapling instrument removes an internal hemorrhoid. Or it pulls a prolapsed internal hemorrhoid back inside the anus and holds it there.
Southern Cross Medical Library
The purpose of the Southern Cross Medical Library is to provide information of a general nature to help you better understand certain medical conditions. Always seek specific medical advice for treatment appropriate to you. This information is not intended to relate specifically to insurance or healthcare services provided by Southern Cross. For more articles go to the Medical Library index page.
Don’t Miss: What Doctor Do You See About Hemorrhoids
Severe Hemorrhoids Vs Mild Hemorrhoids: Stages
Many physicians use a grading system to categorize hemorrhoids along four stages:
- First-degree hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids that bleed, but do not prolapse. These are slightly enlarged hemorrhoids, but they do not protrude outside the anus.
- Second-degree hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids that prolapse and retract on their own . These may come out of the anus during certain activities like passing stool, and then return back inside the body.
- Third-degree hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids that prolapse and must be pushed back in by a finger.
- Fourth-degree hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids that prolapse and cannot be pushed back in the anal canal. Fourth-degree hemorrhoids also include hemorrhoids that are thrombosed or that pull much of the lining of the rectum through the anus.
How And When To Use Hydrocortisone For Piles And Itchy Bottom
You’ll usually use most treatments for piles or itchy bottom several times a day first thing in the morning, last thing at night and after you’ve done a poo. Check the leaflet which comes with the product you are using.
Some treatments are only used on the skin around your anus such as creams, ointments and sprays. These are for piles on the outside or itchy bottom.
Some piles treatments, such as hydrocortisone suppositories, are used inside your anus. These are for piles on the inside .
Do not use hydrocortisone treatments for more than 7 days. Make an appointment to see your doctor if your symptoms:
- have not got better
- come back quickly after treatment
Read Also: How Do You Get Hemorrhoids
How Are The Hemorrhoids Issue Tested And Diagnosed
Your health provider will look at your bottom area. They might put a lubricated gloved finger or an instrument in your anus. An ANOSCOPE is a hollow and lighted tube for viewing the lower couple of inches of the rectum.
A PROTOSCOPE works like an ANOSCOPE, but itll allow your health provider to see more of the rectum. You might need other tests to locate inner hemorrhoids or exclude other situations that can reason anal bleeding. These are including:
SIGMOIDOSCOPY, which looks at your lower colon, or sigmoid and colonoscopy that determines the complete colon. And both use flexible, lighted viewing tube that goes into the rectum.
Barium X-Ray can also show the outer of the complete inside of your colon. First, you will get a barium enema, and then an expert will take x-rays of your lower part gastrointestinal tract.
A few questions your doctor might ask during medication for oral Hemorrhoids treatments include:
Have you experienced Hemorrhoid before?
When did your Hemorrhoid symptoms start?
Are you taking any sort of medication?
Does anything look to trigger your discomfort?
You might also want to ask your doctor some questions such as:
Do I have got a Hemorrhoids problem?
What are my Hemorrhoid treatment options?
Will there be a bodily examination?
What caused this problem?
How long will it take to cure?
How To Poop With A Hemorrhoid
Releasing your stools with Hemorrhoids can be painful depending on the severity. There are different ways to reduce the pain during bowel movement. Some of these methods are filling the rectum with warm water, using a cold compress and having a diet rich in fiber. A quick alternative to reduce the swelling is applying medication that can penetrate deep into the skin on the affected areas to relieve the Hemorrhoids pain, itching and swelling.
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids Without Surgery
Pregnant And Daflon 500 Mg
Pregnant women are also prone to the hemorrhoids condition. The huge pressure in the abdomen is one of the factors. But keep in mind that taking Daflon 500 for pregnant or breastfeeding women might be dangerous. You will want to consult with your doctor first before proceeding.
According to many health practitioners, Daflon 500 mg has been proven to overcome hemorrhoids in quicker time. A research in Australia claimed that half of their participants noticed the significant improvement after only 48 hours of the Daflon treatment.
This is a huge percentage.