Epsom Salt Warm Water Bath For Hemorrhoids
- Fill your bathtub with four or five inches of warm water. The water should be hot enough to dissolve the Epsom salt without scalding you. If you are using a Sitz bath, add enough hot water so that you can soak the anal parts without overflowing the basin.
- Add two cups of Epsom salt to the hot water. If you are using a Sitz bath, go for a half cup.
- Lower your anal part into the bathtub and soak for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Now rinse yourself and the bathtub. To avoid further irritation, use a towel and pad the anal area instead of scrubbing when you dry yourself.
- To further heal and treat hemorrhoids you may want to add apple cider vinegar or coconut oil to the bath as well.
You can do this process up to 3 times a day. If possible, and try to make an Epsom salt warm water bath after you have a bowel movement.
Over The Counter Medications For Hemorrhoids
- Brand names listed as examples do not imply better quality over other brands. Generic equivalents may also exist.
- Use only as directed on the package, unless your healthcare provider instructs you to do otherwise.
- OTCs may interact with other medications or be potentially harmful if you have certain medical conditions. Talk to your pharmacist about options that are right for you.
Make Sure To Use Real Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is different from the kind of salt you likely have in your kitchen. While they look similar, Epsom salt is made of magnesium sulfate. Table salt is made of sodium chloride.
While there arent many clinical studies to back up its benefits, Epsom salt has been used for centuries to treat a range of things, including:
These benefits are likely linked to the magnesium in Epsom salt.
Where to buy
You can find Epsom salt in most grocery stores and pharmacies. Its also available online.
Epsom salt comes in different grades, depending on its intended use. To ensure youre getting Epsom salt thats safe for medicinal use, look for a drug facts box on the packaging or check to see thats its USP grade.
Read Also: What To Eat For Hemorrhoids
Is There Any Risk Of Taking Sitz Bath At Home
- If you do not clean or rinse the sitz bath tub thoroughly, there is a chance of infection to the affected area.
- Sometimes, the surgeons recommend a sitz bath for piles after surgery. This may be for quick healing. But sometimes, wounds may burn or you may experience itching if the sitz bath procedure is not followed as per the instruction.
Epsom Salt Soaks Help You De
The scent of peppermint and eucalyptus is both pleasant and invigorating, but essential oils do more than just smell good. With each of these oils having such a potent fragrance, its no wonder that they also offer healing power.
Peppermint and eucalyptus oils work together to deliver anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, analgesic , and anti-stress benefits.
The peppermint and eucalyptus aroma reduces your stress as the essential oils healing properties go to work on inflammation, pain, and discomfort while cleansing the area of harmful bacteria.
Adding our Epsom salts to your bath works on all of your sore muscles as the fragrant essential oils relax your mind.
End your stressful day with a rejuvenating soak in the tub. You deserve it!
You May Like: How To Prevent External Hemorrhoids
Why To Take A Sitz Bath
A sitz bath is one in which you sit in warm water to ease pain or swelling to the anus or vaginal opening. Your doctor might recommend a sitz bath to you if youre suffering from Hemorrhoids
Swollen veins in the lower part of rectum and anus.
or anal fissure, or if youve recently given vaginal birth that resulted in tissue damage.
Stay Away From Burning Hot Water When You Have Hemorrhoids
Scalding hot water is not good for your hemorrhoids. Your symptoms are already inflamed rectal veins that give way to hard anal lumps that throb, ache, and burn, sometimes even becoming thrombosed.
Hot water can churn the circulation of blood, and while thats what your hemorrhoids ultimately need, they exist because of a restriction to the blood flow. The hot water can make the throbbing worse, and heighten the already burning sensation you feel.
Your anal area is more sensitive than the rest of the skin on your body, and you are probably aware of this fact if you are suffering from hemorrhoids. Hot water is going to feel much hotter on your anal area than you might intend it to, and this could worsen irritation and swelling.
Read Also: Can Birth Control Cause Hemorrhoids
What Is Epsom Salt And What The Advantage
Epsom salt is often called magnesium sulfate. Epsom Salt is known to be used for so many purposes. There are some causes that make Epsom salt is chosen as the best home remedies for hemorrhoid. IMPORTANT TO READ: What are the differences between Epsom salt vs sea salt?
What benefits from Epsom Salt? Actually there so many benefits of Epsom salt moreover for reduce hemorrhoids pain. It is known to use for removing aches and pain. Besides useful for treating hemorrhoid, Epsom salt also good for :
- mom who recently give birth
- help those who suffer urinary retention by making the urine flow to be smooth
- reduce swelling
- reducing stress
- eliminate toxin
You can find Epsom salt at drugstores with the price is affordable. And it is good to keep in at room temperature and avoid it from big moisture of high temperature as deformation prevention.
Easy Ways To Add Fiber
The tips below offer some simple ways to add more high-fiber foods to your meals.
Start your day with a high-fiber breakfast. Eat a wheat bran cereal along with a sliced banana. Or, try peanut butter on whole-wheat toast.
Eat carrot sticks for snacks. Theyre easy to prepare, taste great, and are low in calories.
Use whole-grain breads instead of white bread for sandwiches.
Eat fruits for treats. Try an apple and some raisins instead of a candy bar.
Don’t Miss: Is Vaporub Good For Hemorrhoids
Can I Use Epsom Salt Soaking For Hemorrhoids Is It Good To Help The Piles
How to cure hemorrhoids at home fast? One way of external hemorrhoids treatment with the effective results to reduce pain is by using Epsom salt for hemorrhoids for sitz bath. It can be chosen for all of you who want to know how to get rid of hemorrhoids in a natural way. It has been known for a long time if Epsom salt can help to soak hemorrhoids in order to relieve pain, clean the anus.
What To Put In A Sitz Bath To Soothe Hemorrhoids
There is no absolute requirement to add anything to the water, and there is no real evidence to suggest putting in a specific ingredient will make your sitz bath hemorrhoid treatment more effective. However, the following ingredients are recommended and may prove beneficial:
Sea Salt: Non-oidized salts are recommended for sitz bath use . The Salt water acts as an antibacterial agent and has traditionally been used to heal wounds and different skin conditions. You can make a solution using 4 tablespoons of sea salt.
Some people opt to take a sitz bath after a bowel movement. But what about taking a bowel movement during a sitz bath. As alarming as it sounds, the relaxing sensations can indeed induce a bowel movement. For individuals struggling with hemorrhoids, constipation and painful bowel movements, then it may be a case of whatever works and whatever helps you, is a good thing.
Constipation and hemorrhoids are often closely connected. Constipation may cause hemorrhoids. But a constipation problem may create further damage, when you are trying to recover from hemorrhoids. So you may want to employ the services of a sitz bath to help relax and induce bowel movements. Some people opt to take a bowel movement during their sitz bath to help reduce the pain. If you do, obviously clean the basin and replenish with clean water for further soaking. The choice is yours.
Also Check: What Ointment Is Good For Hemorrhoids
Epsom Salt Bath For Hemorrhoids: Is It Instant Relief
This post may contain affiliate links. See our Full Disclosure
September 27, 2018 By Rachel Garduce
There are few things in life that are literally a pain in the butt. Hemorrhoids fit this bill. And if youve got one, sometimes using a cream isnt enough. But there is a simple and satisfying home remedy: taking an epsom salt bath for hemorrhoids.
Hemorrhoids: its an uncomfortable subject to talk aboutin more ways than one.
Its embarrassing to admit you have it. And, it can also be pretty painful, depending on the severity.
Just keep in mind if youre suffering from this condition, youre not alone.
In fact, according to the U.S. National Institutes of Health, 1 out of every 2 American over 50 years of age have hemorrhoids.
And many people have them again and again.
The most common way to treat them is using an ointment. But the biggest problem with ointments is theyre just too messy.
Sure, an ointment may offer temporary relief. But its not very comfortable to sit on your backside when it feels like an oil slick.
Over the counter creams, too, are common for relief. However, its not very pleasant to apply cream to your backside.
Not to mention the challenging logistics of self-applying to a hard-to-reach area.
A third way to treat it is using a suppository. You probably dont need an explanation on suppositories. So lets move on to a more pleasant way of treating rhoids.
Other Options For Hemorrhoid Relief
A sitz bath does not need to be your only source of treatment for hemorrhoid pain. There are several additional natural remedies you can employ alongside a sitz bath for maximum relief:
- As mentioned, straining on the toilet can aggravate hemorrhoids. Increase your fiber intake and stay hydrated to help move stool along and make bowel movements easier.
- If possible, bathe instead of shower. This will help keep the anal area clean and also provide warmth for the perineum area.
- Lightly moisten toilet paper and pat instead of wipe following a bowel movement.
- Avoid using pre-moistened toilet paper or any scented products. The perfume and alcohol these products contain will dry out and aggravate the rectal area.
Rememberif you want to naturally treat your hemorrhoids, try a sitz bath for hemorrhoid relief. It can be done in the privacy of your own home, help ease the pain as well as loosen the swollen hemorrhoids.
Read More :
Sources for Todays Article:Stang, D., et al., Sitz Bath, Healthline web site, , last accessed November 20, 2015.What Is A Sitz Bath For Hemorrhoids Recipe, How To Make, Hemorrhoid Solutions web site, , last accessed November 20, 2015.
Also Check: What Ointment Is Best For Hemorrhoids
Sitz Bath Therapy For Hemorrhoids
Sitz Baths: An Overview
The Sitz bath, also known as hip bath, is a home remedy that originally came from Europe. The name itself comes from the German sitzen, which means to sit.
The hemorrhoid treatment consists of soaking the buttocks and hips in a solution of saline or plain water. Depending upon the condition being treated, hot or cold water may be used. One of the main effects of a sitz bath is to increase blood flow to the abdomen and pelvis, which can help in the treatment of hemorrhoids as well as other medical conditions.
Uses of Sitz Baths
One of the most popular uses of the sitz bath is as a means to alleviate the symptoms of hemorrhoids. Many hemroids sufferers find sitz baths a very effective means to reduce swelling and inflammation in hemorrhoidal tissue. Consequently, sitz baths can help relieve the pain which often accompanies hemroids.
Sitz baths have many other uses besides the treatment of hemorrhoids. Sitz baths can be used to relieve the pain associated with various types of inflammatory conditions in the pelvic area, genital herpes and prostate problems being a couple of examples. The treatment can also relieve the pain of certain types of muscle disorders, such as ovarian and uterine cramps in women. Sitz baths have long been thought to renew vigor and good health.
Hot or Cold Sitz Baths?
Sitz Bath Variations
Administering a Hot and Cold Sitz Bath
Poison Ivy Poison Oak Or Sumac
Baking soda may also promote the healing of rashes caused by touching poisonous plants. Taking a bath is usually a good idea after touching toxic plants, as bathing may help prevent the skin from absorbing the oils that cause a rash.
A bath may also help prevent these oils from spreading to other areas of the body or another person.
Baking soda can soothe the inflamed skin and reduce irritation and itching. Soaking in a lukewarm tub with ½ to 1 cup of baking soda may help reduce symptoms. Adding oatmeal to the bath can also ease itching.
Also Check: What To Do For Hemorrhoids
Epsom Salt Soak For Hemorrhoids
According to the journal, PHYSICIAN, soaking in a salt bath has a soothing effect similar to that of ointment.
Another benefit of soaking: it draws fluid out of the hemorrhoid.
Some people resort to having surgery to remove painful rhoids. And this proctology group in Los Angeles says that one of the best ways to reduce pain and discomfort after surgery is by taking a sitz bath with epsom salt.
If youre going to have surgery, the group cautions against taking epsom salt bath for hemorrhoids.
Doing so may make your bum too tender.
But if your butt isnt undergoing the knife, taking a salt bath or applying a paste made out of it may offer the relief youre desperately seeking.
And if you are battling with a urinary infection, theres a bath remedy for that, too. Find out how to use an apple cider vinegar bath for UTI treatment.
Looking to learn more about epsom salt? Check out:
How Can I Take Care Of Myself
Always tell your healthcare provider when you have rectal bleeding. Although bleeding is often from hemorrhoids, more serious illnesses, such as colon cancer, can also cause bleeding.
Follow these guidelines to help prevent hemorrhoids and to relieve their discomfort:
- Do not strain during bowel movements. The straining makes hemorrhoids swell.
- Follow your high-fiber diet and drink plenty of water. If necessary, take a stool softener, such as Haley’s M-O, psyllium, Metamucil or Citrucel, or mineral oil. Softer stools make it easier to empty the bowels and reduce pressure on the veins.
- Don’t overuse laxatives. Diarrhea can be as irritating to the anus as constipation.
- Ask your healthcare provider what nonprescription product you should buy to relieve pain and itching. Also, ask about any side effects of any medications prescribed for you.
- Exercise regularly to help prevent constipation.
- Avoid a lot of wiping after a bowel movement if you have hemorrhoids. Wiping with soft, moist toilet paper may relieve discomfort. If necessary, shower instead of wiping, and then dry the anus gently.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects when you have hemorrhoids. It may increase the pressure on the veins and make the hemorrhoids worse.
You May Like: Is It Possible To Get Rid Of External Hemorrhoids
Sitz Bath For Hemorrhoids How To Use What To Put In
Sitz Bath For Hemorrhoids Treatment
So what is a sitz bath for hemorrhoids, and why are sitz baths so highly recommended when we are in dire need of some relief from the symptoms of hemorrhoids?
A sitz bath is simply a shallow bath for sitting in, to ease discomfort, for people suffering from hemorrhoids or genital problems. The taking of regular sitz baths are so highly recommended because the warm water helps soothe and relax the anal sphincter, which helps lessen any pressure, while also reducing any itching sensations.
Risk Factors And Causes Of Hemorrhoids
Several habits and conditions are thought to cause piles:
Straining too hard during the movements of the bowel Diarrhea or chronic constipation Long sitting on the toilet seat
Constipation, straining and lengthy sitting can the whole affect the flow of blood in the anal, causing blood, not to enter at its right ratio within vessels and leading to piles.Factors that grows your risk of developing piles:
Obesity being fatty can put such pressure on the hemorrhoid tissue. Lack of fiber Pregnancy as the fetus rises and puts force on the abdomen, the blood veins in the rectum and anus might become enlarged. The issue usually goes away after baby birth. Aging as we get aged, the connective tissue in the anus and rectum becomes weaker and weaker, potentially resulting in swelling piles.
Therere several medical treatment home remedies options. And my todays topic is Baking Soda good for hemorrhoids? Lets jump into further details to know how effective baking soda for hemorrhoids.
Read Also: How Can You Get Hemorrhoids
By Step How To Use Epsom Salt For Hemorrhoids
how to use epsom salt for hemorrhoids sitz bath
What you need to know is how much Epsom salt for bath to your bath water but for detail steps, you can do some following steps below.
- Clean your bathtub by using very warm water. You can add 6 inches of water and then use Epsom salt too to relieve hemorrhoids. If you need more water then you can add more water too.
- How much Epsom salt in bath? You need a cup of Epsom salt for hemorrhoids every 6 inches of water. If you need more salt for the bathtub then you can use 2 cups of Epsom salt. It is also depending on your large of the tub such as when you use a garden tub or larger tub in your home.
- Use your hand to mix the water and the Epsom salt. You need to wait until the Epsom salt dissolved. You should not find salt at the bottom of the tub.
- Rinse your body with warm water and then you need to towel dry. What you need to give attention to is in the irritation area or area that is inflamed. Epsom salt will help to reduce irritation and also keep the moisture in that area.
You need to keep your body dry after you take a bath and make sure that the area that is sensitive is also dry in order to prevent serious infection.
It is so simple to use Epsom salt to cure hemorrhoids. You just need to follow on using Epsom salt with hemorrhoid above and if you donât find a good result, what you need to do is following other tips.
You can follow the above step on how to use Epsom Salt for those who in pregnancy with hemorrhoids.