How Can You Treat Symptoms During Pregnancy
If you experience symptoms, try one of these remedies:
- Cold therapy can help reduce swelling and bring temporary relief. Apply an ice pack to the affected area.
- Soak in warm water several times a day. If you don’t have a bathtub, you can buy a sitz bath. After getting out of the tub, pat the area dry, and then point your hair dryer on low heat on the area. It can feel quite comforting.
- If sitting is uncomfortable, get a donut-shaped pillow to ease the pressure.
- Apply witch hazel pads to the area and change the pads frequently. Witch hazel has a cooling effect and helps reduce swelling.
- Baking soda used wet or dry can be applied topically to help alleviate itching.
- Coconut oil can relieve pain and inflammation. So can pure aloe vera without added chemicals and fragrances or arnica.
- Stay clean and use soft, unscented toilet tissue or unscented wipes to avoid more irritation in the affected area.
Whether The Water Is Warm Or Cool The Change In Blood Flow Will Alter The Amount Of Blood Passing Into Your Hemorrhoids Etc
Warm water will dilate the blood vessels, making them bigger, and perhaps allowing the blood to pass out of your swollen piles more quickly. Warm water also helps the larger muscles of the body to relax, helping ease the tone of the rectal sphincter , and the soothing nature of a warm bath is something Im sure weve all had experience of.
Cold water will draw heat out of hot, sore piles and at the same time reduce the blood flow into them, so theres less pressure inside to make them feel inflamed.
One of the interesting things about Sitz baths is that it seems there isnt much difference in the effect patients report whether the water is cold or hot both seem to help equal numbers of people.
Equally, some people use alternating hot and cold water in their Sitz bath, as you would do in a sauna, sometimes using two separate basins.
If you dont happen to have elaborate equipment or multiple basins of water to hand, you can simulate this by running a hot bath but keeping a towel in the sink which you have soaked in cold water. Once youve sat in your hot Sitz bath for a while, say five minutes, stand up and wrap the cold towel between your legs like a nappy for a minute or so. Again, this works by altering blood flow and can be very invigorating, just like a sauna can, but it can also take a bit of getting used to before you enjoy it!
How Does A Sitz Bath Work
The way that the Sitz bath works is by altering the blood flow to the area you are immersing in water.
Think of putting your hand in a bowl of comfortably warm water if you leave it there for a minute or so and then take it out, youll notice the skin has changed colour, becoming much redder.
The opposite is true for cold water, you skin will go paler than it usually is.
The reason for these colour changes is that the body is very good at detecting local temperature changes and altering the blood supply to that area.
Part of the job the skin does is determine how much heat we lose from our bodies, and it does this by using blood flow.
Even though you are a warm-blooded animal, your blood still acts like a coolant it absorbs heat from the parts of the body it flows through, and can carry it back to the centre of the body.
If an area of skin is getting too hot, the body increases the amount of blood flowing through that area to carry heat away, just like the coolant flow in a reactor. Otherwise, that region may end up getting so hot the cells there stop working properly, or can even die and become damaged.
Conversely, if an area is too cold, the body will stop excess heat loss by shunting blood away from that area. This prevents the blood getting too cold before it returns to delicate central organs like the brain or heart, which dont respond well to having a rush of cool blood arriving at them.
Read Also: How To Relieve Hemorrhoids At Home
Increase Your Daily Dietary Fiber Intake
One of the major causes of an anal fissure is constipation. When we have to strain to make a bowel movement we are putting excessive force on the anus. This combination of a large stool that has to be forced out of the body can easily cause an anal fissure.
I strongly believe this is how I first got a small cut on my anus. At the time, my doctor said I had Hemorrhoids. The only way to truly know is to get a visual examination. Dont let your doctor take your word for it and diagnose that problem without looking at it.
Anyway, dietary fiber is found in many fruits, vegetables, beans, & whole grains and is most commonly associated with its ability to relieve and prevent constipation. In addition to helping with constipation, fiber has many other health benefits that really make a strong case for making sure you have enough fiber in your daily diet.
Some of the added benefits of fiber are:
- Adds bulk to your stool which actually aids in the bowel passing smoother.
- Relief from Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Lowers your risk of getting Hemorrhoids and/or anal fissures
- Helps control your bodys blood sugar levels which lowers your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes
- Aids in losing weight
Here is the recommend fiber intake we should strive for daily:
WARNING: BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE AMOUNT OF FIBER YOU START TAKING. I RECOMMEND GRADUALLY INCREASING YOUR FIBER INTAKE SLOWLY SO YOU DO NOT PRODUCE A STOOL THAT IS TOO HARD.
Calmovil’s Vein & Colon Formula Ingredients
Calmovil Vein & Colon Formula is an herbal supplement that contains only natural ingredients extracted from plants, trees, and herbs.
|NATTO EXTRACT – Nattokinaseis an enzyme derived from natto bacteria and boiled soybeans. Nattokinase enhances the body’s natural ability to maintain normal blood flow. Nattokinase promotes healthy blood flow beneficial for circulatory health. *
|BILBERRY is found in Europe and is similar to blueberry. It will improve circulation and blood flow. *
|DIOSMIN is a bioflavonoid found in Figwort plants. It has been used and shown to have benefits as a anti-inflammatory and vascular-protecting agent for more than thirty years. *
|RUTIN is a natural bioflavonoid present in citrus fruits, blackberries, apricots, and blueberries. Rutin has high anti-inflammatory properties and supports strong blood vessels. Used and popular in Europe. *
|CAMOMILEhas a regulatory and calming effect on the digestive tract. Camomile’s properties areIt is great for indigestion and diarrhea, helping to stop irregular bowel movements.It contributes to relieve anxiety and stress. Camomile contains flavonoid apigenin. It’s a natural antihistamine that prevents itching. *
|PLANTAIN is an herb that has anti-inflammatory activity. Research suggests it helps relieve bleeding, swelling, and itching. *
|HESPERIDIN is a bioflavonoid found in peppers and lemons. Hesperidin has anti-inflammatory effects. It improves capillary and connective tissue health, as well as fragile capillaries. *
Read Also: What Helps To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids
Make Sure To Use Real Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is different from the kind of salt you likely have in your kitchen. While they look similar, Epsom salt is made of magnesium sulfate. Table salt is made of sodium chloride.
While there arent many clinical studies to back up its benefits, Epsom salt has been used for centuries to treat a range of things, including:
These benefits are likely linked to the magnesium in Epsom salt.
Where to buy
You can find Epsom salt in most grocery stores and pharmacies. Its also available online.
Epsom salt comes in different grades, depending on its intended use. To ensure youre getting Epsom salt thats safe for medicinal use, look for a drug facts box on the packaging or check to see thats its USP grade.
Are There Home Remedies For Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids, also referred to as piles, are one of the most common problems in the general population. It is estimated that hemorrhoids will affect 75% of American adults at some point in their lifetime. They represent swollen veins in the area of the anus and rectum and can develop inside the rectum or below the skin of the anus . Common symptoms of hemorrhoids may include pain/discomfort, itching/irritation, rectal bleeding, and a swelling or lump near the anus. Embarrassment, fear of pain, and long recovery times are all common worries that prevent many individuals from seeking the treatment they need. As a result, many people with hemorrhoids opt for self-treatment with home remedies. Though the below remedies can help treat hemorrhoids, if you are suffering from this condition it is always better to first make an appointment with your physician!
Don’t Miss: What Can I Put On Hemorrhoids
Calmovil Vein & Colon Formula
|Calmovil Vein & Colon Formula is a supplement that was designed to support colon health and healthy veins in multiple ways *
|“I found Calmovil on the internet and was kind of scared to try it, but I needed help, and I ordered it. I wanted to try this product. I received it in the mail, and in about two weeks I was so much better! Calmovil is natural is I feel it’s so much better. Calmovil helped me with all the bleeding, burning and itching and pain. I’m 100% better now.”Christie from Missouri
Sitz Bath To Soothe Hemorrhoids And More
You can use a sitz bath for a number of conditions. Here are some of the top uses for a sitz bath with Epsom salt:
1. Sitz bath to soothe hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids are very irritating, uncomfortable and can be difficult to treat. One of the easiest ways you can work to heal them is by soaking in a soothing sitz bath. Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in your anus and rectum, caused by pressure in the area. About half of all adults will get one by age 50. Symptoms include bleeding, pain and itching. Sitz baths make you feel more comfortable and provide relief from irritation and pain. A sitz bath for hemorrhoids can also help relieve inflammation and shrink the hemorrhoids as well.
2. Sitz bath for an itchy anus: There are a number of conditions that can lead to an itchy anus that is a little hard to reach. Furthermore, you might not always be in the mood to scratch that itch. A sitz bath can help relieve the itch by gaining access to areas you cant and relieve inflammation, swelling and burning sensations. The most common causes of an itchy anus are anal fissures. These are small tears in the lining of the anal canal, often caused by passing difficult stools when you may push a little too hard. While they do heal, a sitz bath is useful by providing relief from uncomfortable burning sensations.
Don’t Miss: What Doctor Do You Go See For Hemorrhoids
When Should I Take One
Soaking in water at a mild temperature can help speed up the healing process by boosting blood flow. It won’t cure your condition, but it will soothe irritation.
A sitz bath is typically used as a home treatment for the following:
A sitz bath can offer relief from soreness, burning, and inflammation, but you may need other treatments as well.
A pediatrician may suggest a sitz bath for a child with uncomfortable bowel movements, a skin reaction, or an injury in the genital area.
How Can I Use Baking Soda To Treat Hemorrhoids When Pregnant
Therere a few steps you can take to help avoid getting hemorrhoids during your pregnancy. One of the best pieces of advice is to try not to become constipated. You can do this by consuming a meal rich in vegetables and fruits, taking plenty of water, and making sure you are getting enough fiber. Staying at a healthy weight and using baking soda, thats what many health providers have suggested during pregnancy and can also help you avoid getting hemorrhoids.
Don’t Miss: What Foods Are Good To Eat For Hemorrhoids
What Is The Role Of Warm Baths In The Treatment Of Hemorrhoids
Bathing in tubs with warm water universally eases painful perianal conditions. Relaxation of the sphincter mechanism and spasm is probably the etiology. Ice can relieve the pain of acute thrombosis.
Some authors do not suggest mechanisms such as the sitz bath for symptom relief. The rigid structure of these portable bathing apparatuses can act in a similar fashion as a toilet seat, causing venous congestion in the perianal area and potentially exacerbating the problem. However, sitz baths do have a role in the treatment of older or immobile patients who cannot routinely get in and out of a bathtub.
Over The Counter Medications For Hemorrhoids
- Brand names listed as examples do not imply better quality over other brands. Generic equivalents may also exist.
- Use only as directed on the package, unless your healthcare provider instructs you to do otherwise.
- OTCs may interact with other medications or be potentially harmful if you have certain medical conditions. Talk to your pharmacist about options that are right for you.
Read Also: How Can You Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids
Risk Factors To Keep In Mind
A sitz bath is perfectly safe but there are some possible complications to be aware of. In rare cases, the perineum can become infected. This mainly happens if you have a surgical wound or if the tub or basin isnt cleaned properly beforehand. Should the pain and/or itching worsen or the perineum area become red and puffy, stop taking sitz baths immediately.
Why Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has been a popular folk remedy for years. Recently, its become increasingly popular on the internet as a home remedy for just about anything.
Its made by fermenting the sugar from apples using a two-step process that turns the sugars into acetic acid. Thats the active ingredient in vinegar.
Acetic acid is astringent. Astringents shrink organic tissues, such as skin. Apple cider vinegar has also been shown to have antibacterial properties, which may help certain skin conditions.
Proponents claim apple cider vinegar may suppress inflammation, too. So, theoretically, it may relieve the swelling and irritation of hemorrhoids.
Read Also: What Can Be Done About Bleeding Hemorrhoids
Know When To Seek Help
Mild hemorrhoids usually dont require any kind of medical treatment. But if youve never experienced them before and have rectal bleeding, its best to see a healthcare provider for a formal diagnosis. They can rule out any other potential causes of your bleeding that might need treatment.
Also seek treatment if you start to experience intense pain. This may be a symptom of a thrombosed hemorrhoid, which happens when a blood clot forms in a hemorrhoid. Try to get an appointment as soon as you can. Throbomsed hemorrhoids are easiest to treat in the first 72 hours.
Finally, if you arent feeling any relief after two weeks, its best to follow up with a healthcare provider. They may suggest a procedure to remove the hemorrhoids.
How To Deal With A Hemorrhoid
- Rubber band ligation – Elastic bands are used to tie the base of the hemorrhoid to cease the supply of blood. Within several days, the hemorrhoid dies and falls off. Some patients encounter severe pain and bleeding right after the procedure. It does not cure the cause of hemorrhoids so they sometimes reappear.
- Hemorrhoidectomy – a surgical procedure that eliminates the hemorrhoids. Statistics have shown that this treatment may cause incontinence later in life so it’s suggested only for serious cases. Many patients complain of severe pain after, so it must be the last resort.
- Infrared coagulation – Infrared light is used to burn a tissue for the blood supply to cut off from the hemorrhoid. Five to six treatments are usually needed. Although it’s advertised as pain-free, several patients complain of serious pain during procedure. It does not treat the cause, so the hemorrhoids can reappear.
Don’t Miss: What Works Best For Hemorrhoids
How To Take A Sitz Bath
In order to treat discomfort in your nether regions, a sitz bath could be just the treatment youre looking for. However, you want to make sure you do it right. Here are step-by-step sitz bath instructions:
1. Fill the bathtub with warm water. The temperature of the water should be warm, but not hot enough where its uncomfortable.
2. Add two cups of Epsom salt if you fill the tub . Alternatively, you can fill the tub halfway and add one cup of Epsom salt.
3. Swish the Epsom salt around with your hand until its completely dissolved in the water. You dont want to feel any graininess from the salt at the bottom of your tub. The salt wont be effective if its not dissolved.
4. Get in the tub, and ensure the affected area is entirely submerged. This means the Epsom salt water is able to get to where it needs to go and provide relief.
5. Sit in the tub with the affected area fully submerged for 15-20 minutes.
6. Before getting out of the tub, take a quick rinse in the shower.
7. Use a towel to pat yourself dry. Remember that letting the affected area air dry is your best bet at limiting irritation in the area. If you dont have time to air dry, using a hair dryer on low power is an effective way to dry the area.
8. Bathe every few hours, three to four times per day until your symptoms begin to improve. If itchiness, inflammation or further irritation appears, stop using the Epsom salt because it may be triggering an allergic reaction.