Why Do Hemorrhoids Occur
Sometimes hemorrhoids develop for no reason, but often they are associated with chronic constipation or diarrhea, straining during bowel movements, and prolonged sitting on the toilet. You can reduce your risk by following these three easy steps:
- Get enough fiber in your diet
- Stay well hydrated
- Exercise regularly .
Whom Do Hemorrhoids Affect
Although most people think hemorrhoids are abnormal, almost everyone has them. Hemorrhoids help control bowel movements. Hemorrhoids cause problems and can be considered abnormal or a disease only when the hemorrhoidal clumps of vessels enlarge.
Hemorrhoids occur in almost everyone, and an estimated 75% of people will experience enlarged hemorrhoids at some point. However only about 4% will go to a doctor because of hemorrhoid problems. Hemorrhoids that cause problems are found equally in men and women, and their prevalence peaks between 45 and 65 years of age.
If You Notice Bleeding Before During Or After Bowel Movements
If you notice blood before, during, or after bowel movements, you should seek medical care. Bleeding during bowel movements may be associated with hemorrhoids, but it could also be a sign of something more serious, such as colon or anal cancer. Call your doctor so you can get an accurate diagnosis and rule out anything life-threatening. Your doctor can help you identify and address the cause of your bleeding. And if its hemorrhoids, they can offer treatment, relief, and suggestions to help you prevent hemorrhoids from recurring.
Also Check: Can You Use Neosporin For Hemorrhoids
What Natural Home Remedies Soothe Or Cure Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoid symptoms of pain and itching can be treated at home by doing the following.
Warm Sitz Baths
- Sitting in a few inches of warm water three times a day for 15 to 20 minutes may help decrease the inflammation of the hemorrhoids.
- It is important to dry off the anal area completely after each Sitz bath to minimize irritation of the skin surrounding the anus.
- Increased fluid intake and dietary fiber will decrease the potential for constipation and lessen the pressure on the rectum and anus during a bowel movement, minimizing further swelling, discomfort, and bleeding. Dietary fiber supplements also may help bulk up the stools
- Stool softeners may help. A health-care professional or a pharmacist are good resources to discuss their use.
- Individuals with hemorrhoids should not sit for long periods of time and may benefit from sitting on an air or rubber donut available at most local pharmacies.
- Exercise is helpful in relieving constipation and in decreasing pressure on the hemorrhoidal veins. Individuals should be encouraged to have a bowel movement as soon as possible after the urge arises and not sit on the toilet for long periods of time. Once that urge passes, stools can become constipated and straining with a bowel movement may occur.
Practice Good Anal Hygiene
It is crucial to keep your anal area clean, especially after you have a bowel movement.
A perianal irrigation bottle can help you gently clean and soothe your anal area. You can get one from the drugstore for around $10. Or, you can use any clean, squeezable bottle you have on hand.
Use the bottle to squirt warm water on the affected area. Then, clean your anus by dabbing it with a fresh baby wipe.
When bathing, avoid deodorant soaps or harsh cleansers, which can dry out your skin. Instead, wash your anal area with plain water. Go ahead and splash the water onto your skin or use a shower hose.
You will want to dab your skin dry with a clean towel next. Then, apply some aloe vera gel onto the hemorrhoid with a cotton ball. Aloe vera will hydrate your skin and help bring the inflammation down.
You can try pure vitamin E oil or coconut oil, too. But to be safe, avoid creams that have these oils in them. Other substances in the cream could bother your skin.
Recommended Reading: What Are The Symptoms Of Hemorrhoids
If Youre Not Certain Your Discomfort Is Caused By Hemorrhoids
When you have bleeding, discomfort, or pain in the anal region, it could be a sign of an inflamed hemorrhoid. Or, it could indicate that something else is wrong. This is especially true if you dont have a history of hemorrhoids. Thats why its always better to play it safe and see a doctor, as they can accurately diagnose the cause of your symptoms. Its much better to have an expert confirm that you dont have something more serious like cancer than to avoid a hemorrhoid treatment just because youre uncomfortable seeking care.
We all have #Hemorrhoids, but if yours become painfully inflamed, a doctor can help. On the #LiveWellHealthy blog, colorectal surgeon Dr. Nicole Chaumont shares 5 signs that indicate you should seek care for hemorrhoids: https://bit.ly/2OQFntt.
Is There A Cure For Hemorrhoids
If you found us by searching for a hemorrhoids cure, you have come to the right place. Unfortunately there is no quick cure for hemorrhoids though. You can however relieve hemorrhoid symptoms like pain and inflammation, naturally & quickly and also control your hemorrhoidal outbreaks. Selecting the best natural solution and making the right lifestyle choices are all it takes to prevent hemorrhoids and control flare-ups.*
Also Check: Can Hemorrhoids Cause Back Pain
Stool Softeners And Fiber
Since hemorrhoids usually develop as a result of constipation and straining to have bowel movements, Dr. Bravo says stool softeners actually play an important role in treatment.
“One of the most important steps in treating hemorrhoids is avoiding constipationhard or infrequent stoolsand stool softeners are a good option if you have chronic constipation,” he says. Increasing the amount of fiber in your diet by eating more fruits and vegetables is another good way to soften your stools, he says, adding that the recommended amount of dietary fiber is around 20 to 35 grams per day.
You can try an OTC stool softener like Colace , which doesn’t force you to have a bowel movement but simply makes it easier to pass stool. You can also try a natural stool softener with ingredients like psyllium, which is helpful if you can’t get enough fiber in your diet through the foods you eat.
Try Apple Cider Vinegar For External Hemorrhoids
Never consider surgery if you have the best results in store. One such remedy to try out on your external hemorrhoids is apple cider vinegar. You can either consume apple cider vinegar or apply it on the inflamed region of your anus. Make use of the anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties in apple cider vinegar.
The presence of malic and lactic acid in apple cider vinegar helps to take care of the pain. It is also brimming with calcium, iron, pectin, sodium and potassium.
Dont Miss: What Can You Use To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of An External Or Thrombosed Hemorrhoid
Thrombosed external hemorrhoids are a painful condition. These occurs when a blood clot develops in a hemorrhoidal blood vessel causing swelling and inflammation.
- When a blood clot occurs in a hemorrhoid, the hemorrhoid will become even more swollen. This swelling leads to increased pain.
- The pain is usually worse with bowel movements and may increase with sitting.
A thrombosed external hemorrhoid may resolve on its own however, this condition often needs medical care. Bleeding with a bowel movement is never normal and should prompt a visit to a health-care professional. While hemorrhoids are the most common cause of bleeding with a bowel movement, there may be other reasons for bleeding including inflammatory bowel disease, infection, and tumors.
Hemorrhoids are not arteries or veins, but instead are normal blood vessels called sinusoids that are located in the walls that surround the rectum and anus. When the venous pressure within these blood vessels increases, the hemorrhoids swell and dilate, because it is more difficult for blood to empty from them. This leads to the most common symptoms of bleeding and swelling.
Common situations that increase pressure within the hemorrhoidal blood vessels and lead to abnormalities include the following.
- Straining to have a bowel movement. This may be due to constipation or diarrhea.
- Prolonged sitting, including on the toilet
- Lack of exercise
Best Soak: Thena Natural Wellness Organic Sitz Bath Soak
Courtesy of Amazon
Made with soothing, natural oils
Safe to use during pregnancy
May irritate sensitive skin
A sitz bath can be an incredibly soothing treatment for hemorrhoids and postpartum care, with both the warm water and the Epsom salts content working wonders for irritated, delicate skin.
“During a sitz bath, you soak the rectal area in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes, two to three times daily,” says Dr. Arturo Bravo, a gastroenterologist at Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital. “Sitz baths work by improving blood flow and relaxing the muscle around the anus, called the internal anal sphincter.”
This sitz bath made by Thena, which includes Epsom salts and dead sea salt as well as nourishing coconut and magnesium oils, is both soothing and healing, reducing inflammation while repairing tissue damage. It can be dissolved into a special sitz device or simply blended into a warm bath within your tub.
Active Ingredients: 100% pure natural Epsom salts, 100% pure natural dead sea salt, organic coconut oil, and other natural oils | Dose: 1/2 cup for a sitz bath | Uses: Hemorrhoid relief during a sitz bath
Offers itch and pain relief
Can stain clothing
While the first line of defense for most people with hemorrhoids is medicated creams and ointments, pregnant women have to take a pause before running to the pharmacy for an OTC drug.
Recommended Reading: How To Heal External Hemorrhoids
Medical Procedures To Shrink Hemorrhoids
If medications and remedies dont alleviate your discomfort and need further help, plenty of safe and fast procedures are available. Many methods only require one quick office visit. The risk of hemorrhoids returning is very low. And almost all of the procedures are minimally invasive, relatively painless, and produce lasting results.
- Traditional : The hemorrhoids are removed by an instrument, usually a scalpel. This is a standard procedure that easily keeps hemorrhoids from coming back.
- Rubber Banding Ligation: Common and proven highly effective, the external hemorrhoids are banded near the base to cut off blood flow, allowing the unwanted skin tag to fall off naturally.
- Infrared Therapy: This method uses an infrared laser to create fibrous tissue, preventing blood flow. This procedure will shrink hemorrhoids, and the skin tags will then fall right off.
- Electrotherapy: Much like the traditional method, electrotherapy works by using a heated element, like a cautery pencil to remove the troublesome issue safely.
- Cryotherapy: After a local anesthetic, the doctor will freeze and remove the hemorrhoid. This method may leave you with a small amount of discomfort and requires about two weeks of recovery.
- Stapling: This method uses circular titanium staples and shares a similar goal with the same desired results as banding, infrared, and cryotherapy.
How To Take Care Of Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids or Piles, is the name given to a condition in which rectal blood veins get inflamed because of tension created by different circumstances like sitting for a long time. Bleeding, extreme pain and swelling may occur in hemorrhoids. External and internal are 2 kinds of hemorrhoids. They differ with respect to their location. Both types of hemorrhoids show same symptoms like bleeding.
Below are some treatments of hemorrhoids as well as measures to aid your pain if you are suffering from hemorrhoid.
1. Take a cold pack and apply it on the affected area directly. It will soothe your pain and give relief from the inflammation. It is good if you ask a loved one to do so while lying with face down.
2. Use baby wipes instead of the toilet paper. If you need to use the toilet paper then make it wet with water before you use it. You can also dampen the toilet paper with baby oil.
3. Make sure that you clean the affected area with lukewarm water for several times every day. Bidets are highly effective for this purpose.
4. Try not to sit or stand in a fixed position for a prolonged period.
5. Bathe yourself with hot water several times a day. Do not add salt to the water before you bathe. Salty water may result in irritation to hemorrhoids. Do not use strong detergents for cleaning the anal area.
7. Make exercising your habit. Walking for 35 to 40 minutes every day will help in food absorption and smoothen the bowel movements.
Read Also: What Is The Best Medicine For Hemorrhoids
How Long Do Hemorrhoids Take To Heal
For many people, hemorrhoids last and last. Ongoing pain is especially common for people over age 50. For many people, hemorrhoidal pain returns years after treatment, and for many others the condition comes and goes, becoming more common over time.
Do Hemorrhoids Ever Go Away on Their Own?
Sometimes they do. Smaller hemorrhoids are apt to go away in just a few days. Itâs a good idea during this time to avoid further irritating your rectal area by keeping the area as clean as you can.
How Can You Make Hemorrhoids Go Away?
Tougher cases of hemorrhoids may not go away on their own. After trying home remedies and over-the-counter options without success, you will need to talk to your doctor about other treatment options.
How Do Doctors Treat Hemorrhoids
Doctors treat hemorrhoids with procedures during an office visit or in an outpatient center or a hospital.
Office treatments include the following:
- Rubber band ligation. Rubber band ligation is a procedure that doctors use to treat bleeding or prolapsing internal hemorrhoids. A doctor places a special rubber band around the base of the hemorrhoid. The band cuts off the blood supply. The banded part of the hemorrhoid shrivels and falls off, most often within a week. Scar tissue forms in the remaining part of the hemorrhoid, often shrinking the hemorrhoid. Only a doctor should perform this procedureyou should never try this treatment yourself.
- Sclerotherapy. A doctor injects a solution into an internal hemorrhoid, which causes scar tissue to form. The scar tissue cuts off the blood supply, often shrinking the hemorrhoid.
- Infrared photocoagulation. A doctor uses a tool that directs infrared light at an internal hemorrhoid. Heat created by the infrared light causes scar tissue to form, which cuts off the blood supply, often shrinking the hemorrhoid.
- Electrocoagulation. A doctor uses a tool that sends an electric current into an internal hemorrhoid. The electric current causes scar tissue to form, which cuts off the blood supply, often shrinking the hemorrhoid.
Outpatient center or hospital treatments include the following:
Sometimes complications of hemorrhoids also require treatment.
Read Also: What Home Remedy Can You Use For Hemorrhoids
Cold Compresses Or Ice Packs
Sitting on a cold compress or ice pack when hemorrhoids feel irritated can help reduce the swelling and numb irritation. Wrap the cold or ice pack in a towel and place it in the area with the hemorrhoid underneath you. Keep it there for up the 15 minutes and repeat hourly to maintain the relief it provides.
Best Pillow: Kieba Tailbone Cushion
Courtesy of Amazon
Some say the cushion is too stiff
Sometimes the best hemorrhoid treatment is the one that gets your bum off hard surfaces, which can increase the pressure placed on hemorrhoids and worsen symptoms. A tailbone cushion, specially contoured to support your hips and pelvis while keeping your perineum from coming into contact with anything firm, is a solid complement to whatever other treatments or remedies you might be employing.
This ergonomic pillow is also massively portable, featuring a non-slip bottom for safety, a removable, washable cover, and non-deflating foam. You can use it at home, at work, in the car, or anywhere your inflamed bottom may need a little extra comfort.
Active Ingredients: Foam and velour cover | Dose: N/A | Uses: Reduces pressure on the pelvis and lower body and relieves hemorrhoid pain
Reapplication may be needed
When itching is severe enough, it can be as bad as coping with pain. If hemorrhoid itch is becoming extremely uncomfortable, you likely need a formula with hydrocortisone to reduce inflammation and quiet that frustrating itch.
Active Ingredients: Hydrocortisone | Dose: Blot on affected area up to 4 times daily | Uses: For hemorrhoid and anal itching relief
Don’t Miss: What Can Be Done For External Hemorrhoids
How Do I Use These Products
Directions: Application is simple. Apply directly to the condition with a Q-Tip or with your finger. Always thoroughly wash your hands before and after each application. Only a few drops per application are necessary.*
Full instructions are included with your product. These homeopathic formulas are applied topically and are not ingested. H-Bl Hemorrhoids Formula is for minor bleeding, if you have extensive or prolonged bleeding we recommend you consult your medical professional. The products are very gentle and can be used on children over the age 4.*
If you are pregnant or nursing, H-Hemorrhoids Formula is formulated to be used during and after pregnancy. If you have any bleeding, use H-Fissures Formula until all bleeding has stopped and then move on to the Formula for hemorrhoids. Please consult your physician before using these products.*
Check Out Top Hemorrhoid Products Of 2022
What causes Hemorrhoids?Doctors recommend using a natural hemorrhoid treatment4 Things To Remember Looking At Hemorrhoid Treatments Cream or Supplement – Know The Difference High Quality Ingredients GMP-CertifiedGMP-certifiedGood Manufacturing PracticesProven Formulaswell-known & clinically studied ingredientsquality product that can deliver results.Key Ingredients In A High-Quality Hemorrhoid Product: Calamine Borneol Witch Hazel
- Many 5 star user reviews.
- Works for all hemorrhoids.
- Highest Success Rate and Ranking
- As low as $22 per tub.
- Shipped from the U.S.A.
- Results longer to see
The Bottom Line$39.95 per bottle
- Mixed results
The Bottom Line$64.95 per bottle
- Expensive option.
The Bottom Line$50 a bottle
- Does not contain Witch Hazel
The Bottom LineThe Bottom Line
- It outperformed every other product by a wide margin, because they use effective ingredients that are proven and backed by clinical studies.
- It’s made from clinically-tested and natural ingredients in a GMP certified facility, which means no side-effects and guaranteed safety and results.
- Nice people at Hemfix are constantly offering massive discounts and generous deals .
VERY LIMITED. Calamine,
You May Like: What Can I Use For My Hemorrhoids