The Anatomy Of Hemorrhoids
The anal opening is also referred to as the anal verge. Approximately 2 to 3 cm above this is an anatomical landmark known as the dentate or pectinate line, which is distinguished by a circular row of glands that secrete mucus that acts to lubricate the anal canal. Groups of normal submucosal vascular beds composed of supportive connective tissue, smooth muscle, and blood vessels surround the anal canal. When these beds enlarge, the result is hemorrhoids.2 The exact cause of the enlargement is open to further dispute, although the straining theory asserts that straining interrupts the tissues that support the vascular bundles, displacing them and leading to their congestion.4
Oral Remedies For Hemorrhoids
By | Submitted On August 08, 2008
Most hemorrhoids remedies we know are topically applied. They are mostly uncomfortable to have on and take a lot of fuss to complete applying. There are oral alternatives for hemorrhoids and here are some of their effects.
The first is natural Vitamin E. Aside from helping to prevent the anal and intestinal disorders caused by inflammation and constipation into something cancerous in nature, Vitamin E helps in preventing internal swelling. This vitamin destroys free radicals through its antioxidant properties and promotes overall health. However, intake of Vitamin E should be regulated by a physician because too much of it may affect the liver.
We should also try a herbal remedy called Horse Chestnut. This oral hemorrhoid alternative oral cure helps toughen our veins and prevents their swelling. In case of swelling, this remedy eases or lessens inflammation by its toning action on the veins. For swelling and spasm caused by hemorrhoids we can try L-Arginine. This oral remedy relieves muscle stress that pressures the nerves and also stops hemorrhoidal spasms.
While undergoing healing we may supplement the treatment with plantains. These are effective in relieving hemorrhoidal itches and burning. Without remedies for itching and burning we may accidentally wound our anal area and worsen its condition. It is best to avoid touching the affected portion and this can be possible with oral remedies like plantain.
Ease Painful And Irritating Symptoms With These Otc Products
Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the bestproducts, and articles are reviewed by healthcare professionals for medical accuracy. Youcan learn more about ourreview process here.We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
Verywell / Sabrina Jiang
Hemorrhoids, a painful condition involving swollen veins in the rectum and anus, occur when the veins in your rectum become swollen from too much pressure, like if you sit for a long time, strain during bowel movements, or are pregnant. Hemorrhoids will go away once the pressure is lifted. But they can be painful and itchy, so really what youre treating with over-the-counter remedies are the symptoms, says colon and rectal surgeon Tracey Childs, M.D., chief of surgery at Providence Saint Johns Health Center in Santa Monica, CA. But there isnt one treatment or miracle compound thats going to take care of the issue, she says.
Important note: There are a lot of other conditions that have symptoms similar to hemorrhoids. If the pain, swelling, bleeding, or constant need to strain dont get better after a few days, go to the doctor, Dr. Childs adds.
Here are the best over-the-counter hemorrhoid treatments on the market.
You May Like: Will External Hemorrhoids Go Away
What The Experts Say
Most people come to doctors after seeing blood in the toilet. Dont try to treat it. If you have this bleeding going on you should see your doctor to make sure its not something more serious. When I hear about a patient with rectal bleeding, I wonder about what it could be. Especially as were seeing younger and younger people diagnosed with colon and rectal cancer.Henry Govekar M.D., a Colon and Rectal Surgeon at Rush University Medical Group
Who Can And Cannot Use Hydrocortisone For Piles And Itchy Bottom
Hydrocortisone treatments for piles and itchy bottom can be used by most adults .
Young people aged 16 to 17 years can only use some products. Do not use these treatments on children under the age of 16 unless a doctor prescribes them.
Hydrocortisone treatments are not suitable for some people. To make sure they are safe for you, tell your pharmacist or doctor if you:
- are allergic to hydrocortisone or any other medicine
- have a skin infection
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or you’re breastfeeding
- are taking other medicines, such as codeine, which might be making you constipated. Being constipated means you’re more likely to get piles.
You May Like: How Can You Tell If You Have Internal Hemorrhoids
Hydrocortisone Acetate Cream Suppositories And Foam
Hydrocortisone acetate comes in a rectal cream, foam, or suppository. This is a corticosteroid used to reduce redness, swelling, and itching. Delivery is a matter of personal taste.
All of the products are inserted into the rectum. The cream and foam can also be rubbed gently on the exterior hemorrhoids.
Most people tolerate hydrocortisone as well, but the steroid does enter the bloodstream. Rectal bleeding and signs of infection should be reported to a qualified healthcare practitioner.
Users of hydrocortisone acetate products say that hemorrhoidal relief did not last long or provided no relief at all. A few users have reported experiencing even more irritation from the product. One consistent report among users is that hydrocortisone stimulates more frequent bowel movements.
Final Thoughts On How To Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids
- Hemorrhoids are a very common anorectal condition that affects millions of people around the world.
- Enlarged hemorrhoids are often associated with symptoms such as itching, mucus discharge or bleeding. Bleeding happens when hard stool damages the thin walls of the blood vessels in hemorrhoids.
- Avoidance of constipation is key when trying to get rid of hemorrhoids. Its important that you dont strain while using the bathroom, dont sit for an excessive period of time and clean yourself thoroughly when finished.
- Foods and herbal supplements that help relieve constipation can alleviate the symptoms of hemorrhoids. A high-fiber diet and drinking plenty of fluids are the most helpful dietary changes that you can make when it comes to how to get rid of hemorrhoids.
- If non-medical treatments dont work, there are relatively painless procedures that can be done to treat hemorrhoids. For extreme cases, an outpatient surgery called a hemorrhoidectomy may be required.
Don’t Miss: Is Emuaid Good For Hemorrhoids
How Are The Hemorrhoids Issue Tested And Diagnosed
Your health provider will look at your bottom area. They might put a lubricated gloved finger or an instrument in your anus. An ANOSCOPE is a hollow and lighted tube for viewing the lower couple of inches of the rectum.
A PROTOSCOPE works like an ANOSCOPE, but itll allow your health provider to see more of the rectum. You might need other tests to locate inner hemorrhoids or exclude other situations that can reason anal bleeding. These are including:
SIGMOIDOSCOPY, which looks at your lower colon, or sigmoid and colonoscopy that determines the complete colon. And both use flexible, lighted viewing tube that goes into the rectum.
Barium X-Ray can also show the outer of the complete inside of your colon. First, you will get a barium enema, and then an expert will take x-rays of your lower part gastrointestinal tract.
A few questions your doctor might ask during medication for oral Hemorrhoids treatments include:
Have you experienced Hemorrhoid before?
When did your Hemorrhoid symptoms start?
Are you taking any sort of medication?
Does anything look to trigger your discomfort?
You might also want to ask your doctor some questions such as:
Do I have got a Hemorrhoids problem?
What are my Hemorrhoid treatment options?
Will there be a bodily examination?
What caused this problem?
How long will it take to cure?
What Medicine Is Best For Hemorrhoids
Oral medications might also enhance your comfort by decreasing pain and inflammation. Although, therere lots of orally taken medicines available for hemorrhoid inflammation, pain and swelling, but these are the best among them:
Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen
- Limit the number of pills you take, drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen can sometimes make hemorrhoids bleed more.
- Hemovel is an over-the-counter pill that helps reduce the severity and duration of hemorrhoids.
- The pill is discreet and easy to use.
- The active ingredients are diosmin, which are anti-inflammatory and has venotonic properties
- Unique formulation relieves symptoms, pain, swelling, and bleeding.
- Simple and convenient dosing, 1 pill three times a day for 4 days, then 1 pill twice a day for 3 days.
Daflon 500 mg
- Daflon has seen to be a help for hemorrhoids sufferers according to numerous studies.
- Dosing for Daflon is, 2 pills three times a day for 4 days and after that 2 pills two times a day for three days.
- If hemorrhoids have not been relieved after 15 days you should consult a doctor.
Also Check: What To Do When Your Hemorrhoids Are Bleeding
What Are The Best Home Remedies For Hemorrhoids
If youd prefer to avoid medication, or youd like to complement your treatment with at-home remedies, here are some ways you can alleviate your hemorrhoids at home:
- Sitz baths: A regular sitz bath can relieve itching and irritation. Fill a tub with three to four inches of warm water and sit in it with your knees bent for about 10 to 15 minutes. Gently pat yourself dry with a towel afterwards. For an extra soothing effect, try adding Epsom salts to the bath.
- Fiber supplements: These reduce hemorrhoid bleeding, inflammation, and enlargement by drawing water into your stool to make it easier to pass. A psyllium husk fiber supplement, such as Metamucil or a generic equivalent, is a good choice, although psyllium may cause gas or bloating. In that case, try a supplement containing wheat dextrin or methylcellulose .
- Cold compress: Applying ice packs to the anus for 10-15 minutes can help reduce swelling and reduce discomfort. To avoid ice burns always place ice in a cloth or paper towel, and never apply it directly to the skin.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera has been used in many cultures for centuries to treat hemorrhoids due to its believed anti-inflammatory properties. Given the sensitivity of the area, only use pure aloe vera to treat hemorrhoids, and perform a patch test 24-48 hours on your inner wrist prior to application to check there is no allergic reaction.
What Is The Best Prescription Medicine For Hemorrhoids Treatment
With several medications available to cure hemorrhoids, you might wonder which medicine is the best. Like most prescriptions that can only be determined by your doctor on a case by case. The best option will depend on your condition, the severity of your hemorrhoids issue, and if you are taking any medications that might negatively interact with hemorrhoids prescription medications.
You May Like: How To Treat Anus Hemorrhoids
How Should This Medicine Be Used
Hydrocortisone rectal comes as a cream, an enema, suppositories, and a foam to use in the rectum. Follow the directions on your prescription or your product label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Use rectal hydrocortisone exactly as directed. Do not use it more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
For proctitis, hydrocortisone rectal foam usually is used one or two times a day for 2 to 3 weeks, then if necessary, every other day until your condition improves. Hydrocortisone rectal suppositories usually are used two or three times daily for 2 weeks may require treatment for up to 6 to 8 weeks in severe cases. Proctitis symptoms may improve within 5 to 7 days.
For hemorrhoids, hydrocortisone rectal cream usually is used in adults and children 12 years and older up to 3 or 4 times daily. If you obtained hydrocortisone without a prescription and your condition does not improve within 7 days, stop using it and call your doctor. Do not put the cream into your rectum with your fingers.
For ulcerative colitis, hydrocortisone rectal enema usually is used every night for 21 days. Although colitis symptoms may improve within 3 to 5 days, 2 to 3 months of regular enema use may be required. Call your doctor if your colitis symptoms do not improve within 2 or 3 weeks.
If using a hydrocortisone rectal enema, follow these steps:
Reduce Your Chances Of Getting Hemorrhoids And Help Relieve Your Hemorrhoid Symptoms With These Helpful Hints:
- Try to avoid heavy lifting and straining.
- Dont strain or push too hard while going to the bathroom.
- Dont hold it when you need to go. If you feel the need to have a bowel movement, dont wait too long. Your stool will get drier and harder the longer you wait.
- Take 10minute baths in warm water a couple of times a day. The water doesnt need to be very deep just enough to cover your bum.
- Gently clean your bum after each bowel movement with moist toilet paper or wipes.
- If your hemorrhoids are very swollen, put an ice pack on them.
- If you have a very painful flare-up, try to stay off your feet as much as possible.
Read Also: How To Shrink Internal Hemorrhoids
Related Resources For Hemorrhoids
* Prescription savings vary by prescription and by pharmacy, and may reach up to 80% off cash price.
Pharmacy names, logos, brands, and other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This article is not medical advice. It is intended for general informational purposes and is not meant to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your physician or dial 911.
What Is The Best Hemorrhoid Medication
With so many medications available to treat hemorrhoids, you may be wondering which option is the best. Like most prescriptions, that can only be determined by your healthcare provider on a case by case basis. The best option will depend on your medical history, the severity of your hemorrhoids, and if youre taking any other medications that may negatively interact with hemorrhoid medication.
To make things easier to understand, weve broken down some of the different prescription medications available to treat hemorrhoids:
|Best medications for hemorrhoids|
|30 gm of 2.5%||Shortness of breath, stomach pain, rectal bleeding, headaches|
Dosage is determined by your doctor based on your medical condition, response to treatment, age, and weight. Other possible side effects exist. This is not a complete list.
Again, the best option available for you will be determined by having an open conversation with your healthcare providers. Theyll take all the variables into account, such as your symptoms, lifestyle, medical history, and if youre taking any other medications that may interact with treatment.
You May Like: How To Use Sitz Bath For Hemorrhoids
How Do You Use Hemorrhoid Cream
How you apply hemorrhoid cream depends on the type of product you choose. Some hemorrhoid creams can be applied inside the anal area, while others are made only for external use. For example, Preparation H anti-itch cream is for external use only. You can apply this cream to the affected area three to four times a day. If symptoms do not subside after seven days or clear up then reappear, its recommended to stop using the cream and meet with a doctor.
Regardless of the cream you choose, make sure to carefully read its directions to prevent harmful side effects and get the most relief from the product. And remember to speak with your doctor before choosing a cream option to select one thats right for you.
No Need For Messy Creamsthe 1st Oral Treatment For Hemorrhoid Relief In Canada
Hemovel is clinically proven to reduce the duration and severity of hemorrhoids and relieves hemorrhoid symptoms, such as pain, swelling and bleeding.
The oral pills are discreet and easy to use, eliminating trips to the bathroom to apply messy ointments or suppositories.
Benefits of the Hemovel pill
- Clinically proven
- Mess-free administration
- Good safety profile
*Review is from an Amazon.ca verified purchase. There is no material connection between the reviewer and Hemovel®.
Review is from an Amazon Vine Voices member. The reviewer was provided with Hemovel® for free by the Amazon Vine program, and there is no material connection between the reviewer and Hemovel®. Amazon does not influence the opinions for Amazon Vine members, nor does it modify or edit reviews.
Available since 2014.
Simple and convenient dosing
7-day treatment : 1 pill 3 times a day for 4 days, then 1 pill twice a day for 3 days
You May Like: Why Are My Hemorrhoids Not Going Away
An Ancient Wonderprovenby Science
Since ancient times humans have used countless herbs for healing. Out of all these thousands of herbs, through a long process of trial and error, some proved highly effective in the improvement of various skin conditions. Among these were herbs that proved remarkably effective in fixing skin problems arising from conditions like Hemorrhoids. Gotucream consists of such herbs blended together in a specific and optimal proportion to maximize effectiveness. Gotucream is backed by an astonishing number of scientific research studies conducted on the dermatological effectiveness of its remarkable plant ingredients that have passed the difficult test of time with the highest grades.
Also Check: Can You Get Hemorrhoids Removed
Best Practice For Using A Suppository
Its possible to insert a suppository on your own. You may also ask a family member for help until you get used to doing it.
To start, you will need the suppository and the applicator that comes with it, if one is available. Youll also want to have soap and a sink nearby. Some people prefer to use a lubricating jelly to make inserting the medicine easier.
First, check that the suppository is firm. If the medicine is too warm, you may want to chill it in the fridge for a few minutes before inserting it. The cooling effect will also provide relief.
Empty your bowels if you can. The longer the medicine remains in place without being pushed out, the better.
Also Check: How Do You Cure Internal Hemorrhoids